NYU vs Stony Brook Dental School? HELP!! Which school should I choose as an international student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlsgPdud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
why is this even a question if you are paying same for both

Congrats on your acceptance to both schools! I would go with Stony Brook! no question

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony. The cost of living is probably even cheaper there!

Stony. The cost of living is probably even cheaper there!
wait, but I am living in NY with my family right now. I won't have to worry about the living expense if I stay in the NYC.
Why is stony better?

Stony easy pzz
People have this negative impression of NYU only because they accept many students.
This is crazy because NYU have high average DAT and GPA. Plus most of the time, they are included in the best dental schools in the u.s. They have reduced the class size to 30-40 now (even though the total# of students are big) They have tons of research opportunities, clinical experiences. For stony Brook, they won't even let me pay same tuition as other in-state stundents.
I dont want to pay twice the tuition for other students.

no one cant even give me WHY stony is better than NYU. They knows not much about the school but just hate it.

Last edited:
400 students/class vs. 40. Which will give you more opportunities? Ability to talk more easily one on one with faculty/form relationships? Easy decision to pick Stony.

Reactions: 1 user
400 students/class vs. 40. Which will give you more opportunities? Ability to talk more easily one on one with faculty/form relationships? Easy decision to pick Stony.
thanks for replying..
but Stony actually accepted 80 sutdents last year and NYU 300. I understand that still NYU has way more students, but they actually divide students into small groups when giving lectures. I talked to NYU students and all of them said class size has never been their problem..

Is there any other reason why you would pick Stony?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR ADVICE!!

thanks for replying..
but Stony actually accepted 80 sutdents last year and NYU 300. I understand that still NYU has way more students, but they actually divide students into small groups when giving lectures. I talked to NYU students and all of them said class size has never been their problem..

Is there any other reason why you would pick Stony?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR ADVICE!!
I did a week long summer program there and met a lot of the faculty. They were SUPERB and really wanted us to learn and go out of our comfort zones. And the students were so friendly and helpful. It seems like a family there due to the size. I can't say I got the same vibe at all at NYU during my interview. Just my opinion!

Last edited:
Not trying to be facetious here: my advice is not to choose a dental school based on advice solicited from sdn. Oral surgeons are decisive. It sounds to me that you are informed enough; I really don't think that you're going to learn any more valuable information here.

You must be pretty well-credentialed if you got into Stony as an international applicant. Go to NYU if you want to...aim to be at the top of your class. However, I'm a little surprised that you applied to a school and visited it for an interview without thinking about why you might go there.
Thanks

I honestly didn't expect to get accepted to stony since they don't give any seat to international student last year. Also though that they have same tuition for both in state and out of state but turns out that I have to pay twice the regular tuition

If it's not cheap, why would I go there if I can just stay in the city..

I was trying to get the pic picture of stony since I already know a lot about nyu

And yes you are right I should not rely on advice given in this website technically. That's what professors and school staffs told me

Thanks!

Seems like you have your answer already.. Go to NYU. As an international student, you may feel more "comfortable" there as well. As far as class size and residencies go, I think it really depends on what you make of it during dental school.

By the way, where did you hear that NYU is reducing their class size? I thought they always aim for ~360 students. I do know about the group practices but that is kind of different..

I think as others mentioned, NYU will be better fit for you as well, since you are international student. Manhattan is ridiculously expensive city to live in . Keep in mind that if you want to become OMFS, you might want to consider programs that might prep you better for the CBSE examination. You will have to study materials that medical students learn, which is not covered by the dental school curriculum and I am pretty sure that NYU school curriculum is not that medical oriented unlike Stony Brook. I am not 100% sure, but I think Stony Brook is one of the schools that you take courses with Medical school students. It is really impressive that you got accepted to Stony as international, which is very rare. If you really want to do OMFS, I would consider Stony Brook over NYU.

Reactions: 2 users
I think as others mentioned, NYU will be better fit for you as well, since you are international student. Manhattan is ridiculously expensive city to live in . Keep in mind that if you want to become OMFS, you might want to consider programs that might prep you better for the CBSE examination. You will have to study materials that medical students learn, which is not covered by the dental school curriculum and I am pretty sure that NYU school curriculum is not that medical oriented unlike Stony Brook. I am not 100% sure, but I think Stony Brook is one of the schools that you take courses with Medical school students. It is really impressive that you got accepted to Stony as international, which is very rare. If you really want to do OMFS, I would consider Stony Brook over NYU.
I'm in complete agreement with everything said here. I've heard similar things, and being an international student with the intent of specializing as well, I'd say this advice is worth strongly considering.