NYU vs. Touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent1998

Reaction score
Conflicted as which school to attend... NYU has a more established name but the COA is insane. Whereas Touro is a newer school and does not have an established name or many alumni as class of 2021 is the second graduating class? Any thoughts appreciated. I live in New York so would be commuting to both, NYU would be a longer commute

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm a NYU commuter from Brooklyn. I can answer any specific questions you have

But in general it's up to you. if you want connections then nyu might be a better fit. if you want a new more modern setting then touro might be better for you.

yea nyu is expensive. everyone knows that and it's one of the main reasons people hate nyu

I have said this many times nyu is such a large class that you have people that hate nyu, people that love nyu, and people that dont care and just want to graduate

I dont hate nyu but I also dont love the school. it does get me annoyed when people **** on nyu without even having gone to the school themselves.

Pros of NYU

1. Large class so you can always meet people and if you dont like some of your classmates you wont be stuck with them like you would a small class

2. Every student gets a mentor that helps them out whether its academically or socially

3. a bunch of clubs you can join and become a part of something that matters to you. whether its fittness, stocks, philanthropy, you'll find a grad level club

4. you start clinical work usually around August as D1 (BUT due to covid this did not happen. so the students you have complaining about not starting clinicals like normally might have forgotten that we were in the middle of a pandemic in a highly populated city)

5. research opportunities the moment you are accepted (but again because of covid this was cancelled)

Cons

1. Cost. if your not commuting or meal prepping I wouldnt come here. I dont think it's a smart idea to be 600k in debt unless you have some amazing game plan. I commute and live with my family so I save around 200k in terms of housing and food. For those who say NYU is crazy expensive, yeah tuition is expensive but also NYC is expensive and take that into account

2. Administration can be a giant pain in the ass. Maybe because covid made things harder but the admins sometimes would say one thing then retract and say something else

3. scheduling. maybe it's a dental thing since my friends in California dental schools and columbia said the same thing, but sometimes we would have 3-5 exams in one month on top of all our other quizzes and assignments

4. Crowded areas --> Each class has maybe around 360 students so imagine days where all 4 classes would be in the building on top of patients and faculty.

5. you cant really be too shy of a person. By this I mean NYU isnt the school to hold your hand and ask if everything is okay. you have to be able to accept that your not perfect, that you may be ****ty at some areas and ask for help.

if your the type to not ask for help because your too embarrassed you might not fit nyu. Dont expect a clinical professor to hold your hand and show you have to hold a mirror. you have to be comfortable with making mistakes and asking for help.

6. the commute can suck but you get used to it esp. if your a new yorker and grew up using the metro

Reactions: 1 user
What reasons are you saying this, just want to make sure I can see all sides of it! I would be practicing in New York so I would need to do a residency prob a gpr so I just want to make sure I make the best choice long term
Cost, smaller class size, more clinical experience, and a shorter commute for you.