NYU vs. Tufts for Specializing???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pauly11235

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, does anybody here know which one of the two schools has more spots for Ortho, Pedo, perio, oral surgery. Both schools are pretty clinically advanced but with NYU's class wsize peaking at 350-360 it seems as if it would be more difficult to specialize there.

Which school would you guys reccomend for specialty?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, does anybody here know which one of the two schools has more spots for Ortho, Pedo, perio, oral surgery. Both schools are pretty clinically advanced but with NYU's class wsize peaking at 350-360 it seems as if it would be more difficult to specialize there.

Thanks!

I'd really like to know the answer to this question too. Seems like you already decided Pauly, why do you still care :p

Which one is cheaper (including living expenses)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts, Cheaper

Thanks!
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/advanceded/index.html

Has the numbers of seats for each specialty, so you can figure out the ratio. I couldn't find a similar table on Tufts.

I think that they are about the same as far as cost of the school (tuition) but NYU is more expensive if you're going to live in manhattan (NYU is on the lower east side); however, I just graduated from Tufts last year and am doing a residency with a group who are predominately from NYU and most of them lived with their families...I know, weird, it's a New York City thing I think. I would have to say though, as much as I hated dental school, I think I would have hated it more at NYU. The class size is ridiculous, they kick you out if you're struggling to make room for what we at Tufts call 'IS' (international students) and they call 'AP' (advanced placement) students and at Tufts, they bend over backward to get you through.

But, Tufts just built 5 floors onto the school so the class size will be expanding. Anyway, you might see the same thing happening at Tufts that did at NYU because ultimately dental schools are good money makers and sometimes people get greedy at the sacrifice of good education.

About specializing...I think that there are 7 pedo spots per year, 2 oral surgery, 7 ortho, 6 prostho (but they're usually all from different countries), 7 perio. Definate plus if you went to Tufts for dental school.

Hope this helps! :)