NYU vs. Tufts ---> Tufts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted743248

Hello SDN,

I'm so grateful to have received acceptances from Tufts as well as NYU, and am having a really tough time deciding between the two. I've perused past posts, but I think the factors I am taking into consideration are a little different than what I saw elsewhere.

Cost: Pretty similar for both, not a huge deciding factor

Main struggle here is that while I liked Tufts more because of the facilities and just how organized everything seemed during our visit, I have a bigger network in New York (from CA btw). Two of my best friends and a group of friends live in NY. I have also have a couple friends already at NYU dental who were very welcoming during my visit and told me that they would offer me support throughout the years. I know no one in Boston.

NYU facilities also seemed a little older, the class size is also larger than Tufts which is a little concerning for me. But I did feel like when I interacted with faculty and students I felt more at home at NYU. But I do know that Tufts just has a better reputation overall, also their pass/fail grading on clinical/lab work is pretty appealing.

What do you guys think? Network, or ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Tufts website, total cost (with living) will be $465,000 for the 4-year program. NYU will be slightly more expensive. Honestly, I would think twice about going to dental school if these are your only two options. To put it into perspective, I will be paying $250,000 less than you when it's all said and done, for the same degree. It's going to take you literal decades to pay it all off. Think to yourself seriously -- is it worth it?

If money somehow is an afterthought, I would go with Tufts. Sounds like you liked it more.

These are the two largest schools in the country. The education will be similar, so it will boil down to where u would like to spend 4 years. If you plan on putting forth the max the first 2 years, u will not have lots of time for socializing. On the other hand, knowing someone is near could be important. Since tuition is similar, it’s really what makes you feel better. Since there will be lots of pre dents or DS students going to less expensive schools sending negative vibes about this choice, I would suggest ignoring. There is no other choice for you. Choose and do your best. Graduating is the goal, not gloating or hating. And there are literally hundreds who would like to be in your shoes. And after you choose, someone else will be going to dental school, a win-win!

Reactions: 4 users
Per Tufts website, total cost (with living) will be $465,000 for the 4-year program. NYU will be slightly more expensive. Honestly, I would think twice about going to dental school if these are your only two options. To put it into perspective, I will be paying $250,000 less than you when it's all said and done, for the same degree. It's going to take you literal decades to pay it all off. Think to yourself seriously -- is it worth it?

If money somehow is an afterthought, I would go with Tufts. Sounds like you liked it more.

Wow how insensitive of you to say something like that. I did not ask you whether or not I should be going to dental school LOL like I said, money is not too big of an issue is my decision. But congrats regardless on getting into a program of your choice :)

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These are the two largest schools in the country. The education will be similar, so it will boil down to where u would like to spend 4 years. If you plan on putting forth the max the first 2 years, u will not have lots of time for socializing. On the other hand, knowing someone is near could be important. Since tuition is similar, it’s really what makes you feel better. Since there will be lots of pre dents or DS students going to less expensive schools sending negative vibes about this choice, I would suggest ignoring. There is no other choice for you. Choose and do your best. Graduating is the goal, not gloating or hating. And there are literally hundreds who would like to be in your shoes. And after you choose, someone else will be going to dental school, a win-win!

Thanks for your comment! I guess my point isn’t that I would be socializing a lot with the people that are around, but rather that I have more of a support network out in NY. My friends in grad school who have moved away have told me that if they were to do it again they would have chosen a school where they had more of a support system outside of their program. But this might be different between PhD programs and dental programs.

I guess my main question is whether NYU and Tufts would provide equal clinical training, or is one better than the other?

Thanks for any insight!

Hiya! I see where you're coming from and your point about support network in NYC. However, from what you mentioned, it sounds as if Tufts is better in most all other factors other than support system...in terms of P/NP clinical, interview experience, organization, facilities, and reputation. I have also heard great things about Tufts's clinical program, and the class size is smaller than NYU's. :)

But I think it comes down to how much you feel that the support system could help you and make you happier during dental school and how much you weigh that. But even if you choose Tufts, NYC is only a stone's throw away.

Reactions: 1 user
To all: Does anyone have any insight into which would be better if someone definitely wants to do research? I know NYU is better known for that but Tufts doesn't seem half bad. Wondering if the overall extra cost (of living) in NYU will be worth it.

Thanks! Sorry for jumping on your post @bunbun510 :)

Update: I ended up choosing Tufts and I am confident I made the right decision!

@keepswimmin I think both schools have great opportunities for research. I remember during the interview at Tufts they talked about assigning mentors and advisors specifically for research purposes. I also met a guy in the elevator who was doing oral/ facial research, and we spoke for a bit about his research. So it seems like Tufts definitely has opportunities. NYU's name speaks for itself; it is a world-renowned leader in research + has an abundance of resources.

My choice ultimately came down to the fact that I personally wanted to be taken care of as a student (to an extent), especially considering how much tuition is, and I got the feeling that Tufts was going to do that more so than NYU.

Reactions: 8 users
Update: I ended up choosing Tufts and I am confident I made the right decision!

@keepswimmin I think both schools have great opportunities for research. I remember during the interview at Tufts they talked about assigning mentors and advisors specifically for research purposes. I also met a guy in the elevator who was doing oral/ facial research, and we spoke for a bit about his research. So it seems like Tufts definitely has opportunities. NYU's name speaks for itself; it is a world-renowned leader in research + has an abundance of resources.

My choice ultimately came down to the fact that I personally wanted to be taken care of as a student (to an extent), especially considering how much tuition is, and I got the feeling that Tufts was going to do that more so than NYU.

Hi, I GRATEFULLY received acceptances from both these schools this cycle and am having a similar dilemma. I would love to hear from you a bit more on why you think you made the correct decision choosing Tufts. It would help me a ton! Thank you so much!