NYU vs USC vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ne1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted this thread before and I still cannot decide!! Time is ticking, and I have less than two weeks to decide. I am waiting to hear back from Columbia after the interview, and I have Penn and UCLA interview coming up in January. Though I love the three schools I got into as of now, my top choices are the three schools that I haven't gotten into yet.
Cost is very important, but they seem to be around the same as I am a Cali resident. Michigan tuition is cheaper than NYU, and USC is about the same as NYU, still, the difference wont be HUGE.

I like the location of USC, as I will be close to my family, deposite is relatively cheap (500 dollars), in case I get into my top choice school later and alumni network is strong.
But PBL worries me, and I heard about not being able to get chairs.

NYU, I love to live in NY and I loved their facilities and progam. Their board passing rate was 100%, which impressed me. But I am worried about the living cost and weather.

Michigan, great program but their borad passing rate questions me and as an Asian, I would like to have easy access to Asian markets and food.

Currently, I am leaning to NYU because I like their curriculum and the huge patient pool. How would you describe/compare these schools?
I do not want to risk my acceptances to these schools by not paying the deposite and just wait for the other schools, and considering everything (cost>program>name..etc) which school would you want to go to?
Thanks for your input and good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not a dental student and i don't have much knowledge on NYU or USC - but as an alumni of michigan (ann arbor), i can tell you one thing -

it's FREAKING cold here (i'm still here after graduation). last week, the windchill here was -11 degrees in fahrenheit (or -24 in celsius, whichever one you prefer). cold weather usually starts around november and doesn't leave until mid/late march. it's not surprising to have a snowstorm in the middle of april. for nearly 5 months, you get VERY little sun... and that's not conducive to studying (at least for me).
just the weather alone is strong enough of a reason to make me want to leave this place as quickly as i can... even though everything else about ann arbor is great.

yes, i did apply to michigan dental. but even IF i do get in, i for sure will try my hardest to choose another school. again, this is all because i personally cannot stand this weather anymore.

so for me, i think michigan = snow, black ice, frozen car door handles, 3 hours of sun during winter months.
i'm sorry i can't comment on the quality of the dental school though.

i'm not a dental student and i don't have much knowledge on NYU or USC - but as an alumni of michigan (ann arbor), i can tell you one thing -

it's FREAKING cold here (i'm still here after graduation). last week, the windchill here was -11 degrees in fahrenheit (or -24 in celsius, whichever one you prefer). cold weather usually starts around november and doesn't leave until mid/late march. it's not surprising to have a snowstorm in the middle of april. for nearly 5 months, you get VERY little sun... and that's not conducive to studying (at least for me).
just the weather alone is strong enough of a reason to make me want to leave this place as quickly as i can... even though everything else about ann arbor is great.

yes, i did apply to michigan dental. but even IF i do get in, i for sure will try my hardest to choose another school. again, this is all because i personally cannot stand this weather anymore.

so for me, i think michigan = snow, black ice, frozen car door handles, 3 hours of sun during winter months.
i'm sorry i can't comment on the quality of the dental school though.
But you don't get the joy that is lake effect snow :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to touch on the things that ACEbndgs mentioned above, the weather effect is a very real thing. I grew up in southern california and did my undergrad in Chicago and let me tell you, the effect of less sun/cold can definitely have an effect on your mood (and thus performance).

That being said, you're going to have to adjust to different things regardless of where you go (unless you choose USC or UCLA), so the weather should really only be a part of your decision (but i think that it SHOULD play a role).

Something else to consider since you mentioned you are asian, depending on your personality, it may be important for you to notice that there is a larger asian contingent at NYU than Michigan (both in sheer volume & %).

I have posted this thread before and I still cannot decide!! Time is ticking, and I have less than two weeks to decide. I am waiting to hear back from Columbia after the interview, and I have Penn and UCLA interview coming up in January. Though I love the three schools I got into as of now, my top choices are the three schools that I haven't gotten into yet.
Cost is very important, but they seem to be around the same as I am a Cali resident. Michigan tuition is cheaper than NYU, and USC is about the same as NYU, still, the difference wont be HUGE.

I like the location of USC, as I will be close to my family, deposite is relatively cheap (500 dollars), in case I get into my top choice school later and alumni network is strong.

NYU, I love to live in NY and I loved their facilities and progam. Their board passing rate was 100%, which impressed me. But I am worried about the living cost and weather.

Michigan, great program but their borad passing rate questions me and as an Asian, I would like to have easy access to Asian markets and food.

Currently, I am leaning to NYU because I like their curriculum and the huge patient pool. How would you describe/compare these schools?
I do not want to risk my acceptances to these schools by not paying the deposite and just wait for the other schools, and considering everything (cost>program>name..etc) which school would you want to go to?

what does this even mean? Pretty much every DS has a very high passing.

I am very confused, this seems simple to me, if cost is important to you then put the deposit down at the cheapest school (Michigan) and if you get more offers in the future then you can re-asses. Cold weather aside.

Wait. You're going to be paying 60k+ in tuition and living expenses (since you're out of state to the schools/private schools) and you're worried about a small deposit that's a fraction of what you will be paying for and making after you come out of dental schools? I would just put a deposit down at all three schools and really take my time deciding while waiting to hear back from your top 3 choices.

Edit: You might want to note that NYU's passing rate was only 100% last year, ableit NYU's passing rate is still pretty high. I think you should also consider the fact that board 1 is something that you can study for on your own whereas boards II is one where you'd almost certainly need a school with strong clinicals to do well in.

In my opinion

Reputation wise
Michigan>NYU>USC

Cost wise
USC>NYU>Michigan

Easy choice= Michigan.

The weather is brutal indeed. If you want to do general dentistry go where'd you'd be happiest (city, friends, family etc) but if you want to specialize I think Michigan would give you the best chance in doing so

In my opinion

Reputation wise
Michigan>NYU>USC

Cost wise
USC>NYU>Michigan

Easy choice= Michigan.

The weather is brutal indeed. If you want to do general dentistry go where'd you'd be happiest (city, friends, family etc) but if you want to specialize I think Michigan would give you the best chance in doing so

Cost of NYU is more than USC

4 yr cost NYU: $401,974
4 yr cost USC: $391,252

According to..

NYU: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/financialservices/tuitionfeesexpensesdds.html

USC: http://dentistry.usc.edu/doctoral.aspx?id=912

4th year of NYU is $95,626 compared to USC's 4th year $71,410

(tuition + living expenses. calculated by the school for total cost)