1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

NYU waiting list - any hope?

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by anna_p, Dec 6, 2002.

1. anna_p

anna_p New Member

I am applying for NYU advanced DDS program for foreign dentists. I had an interview in September and thought it went well. A week ago I got a letter from NYU saying I've been put on a "waiting list". I called, but they didn't give me much information.

Does anybody know what's the chance of getting in from the waiting list? I scored 84 on NDB 1. Is it too low?

I was already on a waiting list last year, but then I sent application just before the deadline and thought that was the reason. This time I applied early, got an interview and still nothing.
    I've lost almost all hope of getting in this year. Could anybody advise what to do to succeed next year? Take NDB 2 ? Re-take NDB 1 ?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anna.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. anna_p

anna_p New Member

I guess my only hope is that there will be enough people who got accepted at NYU and other places. I got impression from other threads that NYU is not usually the first choice. Is that right?
    Maybe it's because of length of the program (3 years at NYU vs 2 years at some other places).

cheers,

Anna.

4. angelalee

angelalee Member
    7+ Year Member

anna, don't loose hope. I think you are right about what you guessed. They aren't many people want to go to NYU because of the money issue( an extra year), if you don't mind, I think you will get into it finally. Like myself. I got two acceptance letters from two different schools. I have to refuse one. so there will be an opening for people who are on the waiting lists. Do not worry, you can make it!

5. anna_p

anna_p New Member

Thanks for a good word Angela.
    Are there any people out there who actually got in from the waiting list? Is there anything I can do beside sit and wait to increase the odds?

6. avik

avik Junior Member

hi,
    Ur situation sounds exactly like mine except that I have not even received any intimation about the waiting list from NYU.
    Please let me know if u find out what else we could do in order to find out whats going on. Also let me know if u receive ur acceptance notice.

7. avik

avik Junior Member

I also thought that the earliest acceptance notices will be sent out first week of december (according to what they said during the interview). How come you have already received a waiting list.
    This is very confusing.

8. anshu

anshu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hello avik and anna_p,

I read in the thread that you people were kept in the wating list at NYU. I got a letter today saying the same . I gave my interview in dec and I am very anxious . I wanted to know if you people got thru by now or when will we be able to know any thing . How much r the chances?

All the best
    Anshu

:(

9. DDS_FIGHT

DDS_FIGHT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Guys,
    I will be applying here next year. Could you all please share your scores, Toefl and GPA so I would know what I need to get. That will help me position myself well.

10. angelalee

angelalee Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, dear friends, don't worrry. I was in the same mood as you are last Sep. According to my interview experiences, I guess you have to be patient and hold on to the last minute. I met a woman who got accepted in March, one month before the school started. I just got my acceptance letter from NYU yesterday( I did my interview on Jan. 6 this year). I already got my other acceptance from two other schools. The truth is that they are many people like me, they will give up one or two schools. So, if you hold on and start to prepare your step II. YOU WILL MAKE IT!
    As foreign dentists who dream to work in this country, we need to support each other and keep our faith.
    Good luck to you!

11. anshu

anshu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thank you angalalee for your support

12. DDS_FIGHT

DDS_FIGHT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

friends,
    Could you all share your scores and experiences here. I have 86 in Part 1 and 248 in TOEFL and have not received call from NYU (May be application reached in Dec., could that be reason). We future aspirants to NYU would like to know what gets us the admission/interview call. Thats why I and others have been asking for you all to share the Info. It will really help all of us.