emeraldcity

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
179
0
Seattle
Status
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone got rejected post-interview.
It seems to me that everyone who interviewed at NYU but did not get an acceptance was placed on the waitlist?

NYU won't say much more than that the waitlist is "unranked" and they will not tell you how many are on the list...

If everyone who interviewed got on the waitlist, that's a very large population of applicants to dig through when spots open up in the class...

Anywhoo. just seeing if anyone knew the skinny...
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
emeraldcity said:
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone got rejected post-interview.
It seems to me that everyone who interviewed at NYU but did not get an acceptance was placed on the waitlist?

NYU won't say much more than that the waitlist is "unranked" and they will not tell you how many are on the list...

If everyone who interviewed got on the waitlist, that's a very large population of applicants to dig through when spots open up in the class...

Anywhoo. just seeing if anyone knew the skinny...
I just withdrew from NYU's waitlist. I think they put everyone on the waitlist who they didn't accept to see who really wants to go there. If you want to go, I would send them a letter of intent saying it is your first choice and and that you will honestly go if accepted.
 

CalGirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
61
0
Status
Yep I think that everyone who is not accepted at NYU is waitlisted. Today I called their admissions office to find out how many are on the waitlist. This is how the conversation went:

CalGirl: I was wondering approximately how many people are placed on the waitlist?
NYU Admissions Lady: I can't give you an exact figure, but somewhere between 150 and 900 people.

Great. :thumbup:
 

blz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2002
1,282
4
LA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i was told they had around 8000 applications this year and rejected over 7000 already. so that 150-900 figure seems about right.
 

jdovez

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
470
0
NYC
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
blz said:
i was told they had around 8000 applications this year and rejected over 7000 already. so that 150-900 figure seems about right.
The %s are still not fantastic yet.
 

blz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2002
1,282
4
LA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jdovez said:
The %s are still not fantastic yet.

well the word is they get about half of their class (so about 80 kids) from their waitlist. the odds may not be that horrible after people drop from the waitlist 80/150 - 80/900.
 

ajt2003

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
585
2
Status
blz said:
i was told they had around 8000 applications this year and rejected over 7000 already. so that 150-900 figure seems about right.

Um, but during the interview didn't they say they only interviewed 800 people? So, given that, I would say it's anywhere from 150-700 (at the absolute most). Not like it's that big a difference, but still...
 

jdovez

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
470
0
NYC
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
ajt2003 said:
Um, but during the interview didn't they say they only interviewed 800 people? So, given that, I would say it's anywhere from 150-700 (at the absolute most). Not like it's that big a difference, but still...
That is true, additionally, perhaps they had more applications which translated to more acceptances to top tier candidates who will go elsewhere. This is is certainly an aberration at NYU (given the addition to AMCAS) and the numbers (ie. the 80 you quoted) from other years may be more of loose approximation than in the past. Then again, maybe I am mistaken. Who knows?
 
OP
E

emeraldcity

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
179
0
Seattle
Status
Hmm.
funny, they wouldn't tell me how many were on the list. I have heard that schools often have as many people on the waiting list as there are spots in the class ie: in the most tragic case that every single person rejects the school ;). And since no one seems to be getting rejected post-interview, minus out the 160 acceptances from the 800 interviewee pool, the range is probably somewhere around 160-640 at the extreme...

Although having to sift through that many applications everytime a spot opens up seems like way too much work for the committee. My theory is that they have us all in loose piles: high priority, priority, low priority, etc.

Movement in the class gets heavy in May, as everyone has to make a decision by then...

Good luck to you all! Wouldn't mind going to NYU with any of you next year.
Fingers crossed!

:D