NYU ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSuga

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from NYU. I know that my file is complete but that's it. Have they started interviewing?

Members don't see this ad.

Heard nothing thus far!

hey,

i just got the post card that said my app was complete about 4 days ago. it only took three days to get from nyc to alaska.

anyhow, i am pretty sure that the university is located near the wtc attack and i imagine that they are going to be a delayed in their responses this year, by how much, i have no idea, but i am definitely going to be very patient with their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called NYU because I have a few interviews in New Jersey next week and I was hoping to schedule everything together to make one trip home. They said they don't even start interviewing until November. But once they start, they do sometimes let students schedule interviews to match other dates in the area. So if they're running on schedule and plan to start interviewing in November, people will probably start getting invites in October.

nyu undergrad students were affected by the wtc attacks, but the med school is fine. it's a couple of miles from ground zero, and they have been operating on a pretty normal schedule since the attacks, so everything with them should be right on time.

As a current 1st year medical student at NYU, I would like to address the notion that the medical school was not affected. First off everyone in NYC was very affected in a way that is not even describable to those who don't live here. It is in the air we breathe, the skyline we look at, and the military and police presence that we sense everywhere, everyday.

Second, NYU is next door to and affiliated with Bellevue hospital, the city's oldest and largest public hospital which was the second busiest hospital (after St. Vincents which was only a few blocks from ground zero)during the disaster.

Third, NYU medical center was the center for family counseling after the disaster, where families of victims would come in desperately searching for their loved ones and hoping they would find their names on the compiled list of admitted patients in the city. There were lines of people a block long outside the medical center. Hundreds of pictures of victims cover the front wall adjacent to the main entrance at the medical center.

Fourth and most importantly...the city medical examiners office and the main morgue for this disaster are located in the building right next to NYU medical center. That means that NYU is providing volunteer services and shelter for the other examiners and police officers as they identify the remains of the dead. Many NYU faculty and even some students are assisting in the DNA testing of bodies and the sorting and mobilzation of them.

I live in the dorm attached to the medical center and I can see 18 refrigerated semi trucks on the street outside my window. I go to bed every night to the hum of the refrigerators that are holding the bodies of the victims whose pictures are on the wall thirty feet away.

It is eerily like a carnival outside and there are police everywhere. We had to evacuate the building due to a bomb scare an hour before we had our first anatomy exam. A number of medical students have considered dropping out because the psychological burden is unbearable. Some faculty members and students have lost family or friends. Yes we are continuing with our education and lives the best we can, but we have been very affected.

I realize that you were mainly addressing the interview process, and I'm betting that in the interest of normalcy, they will try to run things as planned. But do not come to NYU assuming that people here were not affected.

I am proud to be at NYU, to see my classmates and faculty so active in their volunteer efforts, to be in a city with such resilience and charm. I know that the clean up will take a long time, so some of you should be prepared to see the remnants of a lot of ugliness when you interview here. I know that NYU will remain very active throughout this year with community service and if you can't handle being in a place where the harsh realities of a forever changed world exist, then NYU is not the place for you. But there is no motivation more real for me as I begin this journey into medicine, than those things that I have seen in the past few weeks.

Peace,
NYU-MS1

Thanks for your input dnt107. I will definitely be more aware if I make it up there.
KIM