NYUCD Clinic is now Production based

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past 5 years a top ranking inadequacy in dental education, according to recent graduates from dental schools nationwide, has been providing students with skill, knowledge and experience in an environment that best prepares them for practice "in the real world". NYUCD has taken this problem to heart and embarked on several initiatives to address this inadequacy, including partnership with the Levin Group in evaluating and improving our clinical operations, regular Group Practice operational meetings and an expansion of our curriculum in practice management. To further achieve this goal, with particular emphasis on readying you for productive clinical practice, we will launch a new Practice Model program for the D3 and D4 classes beginning the next academic year. Included in the model will be production goals/requirements and rewards, team evaluations and other key operational elements employed in successful dental practices. A project team including representation of faculty, students and staff has been assembled to work out the details. They will be communicating directly with you through individual and group meetings or focus groups as further input is needed and decisions are made on the program content. Your constructive participation is valued and welcomed.

Louisiana State University School of Dentistry launched a similar program last year with great success, and it is well supported by their students. A paper describing their experience was recently published in the Journal of Dental Education and is available to you on the Academic Intranet at http://www.nyu.edu/dental/intranet/clinicaffairs/jdestudentproduction.pdf. We urge you all to read the paper and consider its benefits to the students at NYUCD. If you cannot open or download the paper, ask someone in your department to help - the paper will provide insight into how the program impacted students and faculty. The NYUCD program will be tailored to fit our unique circumstances and is an important step in preparing you for a very successful practice.

Thank you.

Warren Scherer, D.D.S.
Chair,General Dentistry and Management Sciences

David Sirois, D.M.D., Ph.D.
Head, Division of Reconstructive and Comprehensive Care

A student that put it in simpilar terms

earlier this evening an email was sent to the whole school regarding a new program at nyucd. unfortunately, it was from dr. eisenberg (no offense to our director of informatics) so i doubt anyone paid much heed, thinking it was another virus update. however, it was something very important, especially for our class. it was a letter from dr. sirois and dr. scherer (the chair of all the general dentistry clinics) unveiling a new program that will be implemented next year. it is a new model of clinic operation based on a very successful pilot program at the louisiana state university school of dentistry. it is based on the idea that, since most of us will be going into private practice, our clinical experiences here at dental school should be more practice oriented. following from this, is a model including production goals as well as clinical requirements (in the lsu program, it was a minimum of $16,000 per student per year) along with an incentive system for those students who are ahead of their individual goals (again, in the lsu program, the rewards included more control over your clinic schedule, extra days off, and parking spots) and for clinics which, as a team are ahead of their goals (lsu had lunches with the dean, and public recognition of the team's success). additionally, built in to this practice model is an evaluation system, where students evaluate the other students in their clinic, as well as the faculty in their clinic, for their performance and teamwork. i know that change around here is met with a lot of resistance and criticism. and there are very likely people who will look at this proposal and judge it as a way simply for the school to make more money. but it is an amazing opportunity for us, as students, to actually practice dentistry in a way that is meaningful to the rest of our careers. look at the facts from the lsu study: the average number of chair visits in one year increased by 226, which translated to 7500 additional dollars per student. it is my opinion that learning how to increase our patient flow, set and acheive realistic goals, and work with other dentists in a practice setting will ultimately make us more efficient, more successful, and better prepared dentists. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

ItsGavinC said:
Good news for you guys, I suppose. Let us know how it all pans out and how it affects you. :thumbup:

I'm actually opposed to this. $16000/year? That's roughly, what, $1333 per month? I was #1 producer in my clinic among the 3rd years and that was with $1200-$1300 of production. It's gonna be tough to maintain that level of production. This past month, I had a slow month of diagnosis/treatment planning/rotations so my production was $600. I hope they don't make this a requirement in graduating...

On the flip side, it's good to see where this money is actually going. From May - August, the whole clinical 5th floor will be renovated w/ new clinic chairs, supply desks, waiting room, etc. $4 million project/floor. After the 5th floor is done, they will start on the other clinical floors (2-4th floor) Can't wait to spill some alginate on the new chairs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Been gone for a while, but its good to be back. Hope I didnt miss much NYU drama on the forums. Well to start off, why is it not to my surprise that Broc has thread dedicated to raise the image of the great NYU School of Dentistry & Nursing (which is what it will be called after the Class of 2009). Good luck with getting around in the elevators as it is not hard enough to get around now. Well looks like the 9th floor will be emptying out soon.

ToothGuy05 said:
Been gone for a while, but its good to be back. Hope I didnt miss much NYU drama on the forums. Well to start off, why is it not to my surprise that Broc has thread dedicated to raise the image of the great NYU School of Dentistry & Nursing (which is what it will be called after the Class of 2009). Good luck with getting around in the elevators as it is not hard enough to get around now. Well looks like the 9th floor will be emptying out soon.

Actually, they nixed the idea of NYU college of dentistry and nursing. I guess you didn't get this email from Dean Alfano:

A few minutes ago President Sexton and Provost McLaughlin released their recommendation on the combination of the Dental and Nursing programs at NYU. The specific language in their recommendation related to dentistry and nursing is as follows:

“The feedback we received during the notice and comment period has caused us to reformulate slightly our proposal with respect to Nursing and Dental: the University Administration will recommend at the March meeting of the Board of Trustees that Board members approve transferring the Nursing Program from the Steinhardt School of Education, and creating within the College of Dentistry an entity to be called the College of Nursing, to be effective September 2005. We anticipate that the Nursing Program will continue to have significant interactions with Steinhardt; however, academically and administratively, it will be part of the College of Dentistry. Dr. Michael Alfano, Dean of the College of Dentistry, will begin working with the University Administration and the leadership of Steinhardt and Nursing -- Mary Brabeck and Terry Fulmer -- on the many detailed issues involved in the transition.”

I am delighted by this outcome. Our President and Provost have crafted a recommendation that: sustains both the name and 140 year legacy of the NYU College of Dentistry; grants to our colleagues in Nursing the well deserved dignity of “College” status; preserves the outstanding relationship we have nurtured with organized dentistry; and, most importantly, creates all of the educational, research, and community service synergies between the Dental and Nursing programs that I have written about several times this past year. Both professions will be honored; educational innovation will be fostered; and research at the critical interface of oral and general health will be facilitated. Moreover, with this recommendation, NYU will assume a national leadership position in promoting interdisciplinary health education as urged by both the Institute of Medicine in its report on Health Professions Education, and the Future of Dentistry Report as published by the American Dental Association. Indeed, last week’s issue of US News & World Report confirms both the timeliness of this action and the powerful societal forces at play in the health care arena. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/050131/home.htm

not to offend any NYU students, but is it true, that, from being one of the oldest and best dental schools, NYU dental school is reputed to be one of the worst dental schools today?

We anticipate that the Nursing Program will continue to have significant interactions with Steinhardt; however, academically and administratively, it will be part of the College of Dentistry. Dr. Michael Alfano, Dean of the College of Dentistry, will begin working with the University Administration and the leadership of Steinhardt and Nursing -- Mary Brabeck and Terry Fulmer -- on the many detailed issues involved in the transition.”

I dont know where it says they nixed the merger. It looks like the 9th floor will be for the Nursing students and the 8th floor will be remodeled for new research labs.

Dont worry turkdlit, I have taken no offense to your comment.

ToothGuy05 said:
We anticipate that the Nursing Program will continue to have significant interactions with Steinhardt; however, academically and administratively, it will be part of the College of Dentistry. Dr. Michael Alfano, Dean of the College of Dentistry, will begin working with the University Administration and the leadership of Steinhardt and Nursing -- Mary Brabeck and Terry Fulmer -- on the many detailed issues involved in the transition.”

I dont know where it says they nixed the merger. It looks like the 9th floor will be for the Nursing students and the 8th floor will be remodeled for new research labs.

Dont worry turkdlit, I have taken no offense to your comment.

no, they nixed the name "NYU College of Dentistry and Nursing"...

Turkdlit, I don't take offense to your comment either. It's your opinion...and may be the opinion of the predental community, but my patients don't know that! in fact, I gaurantee they'll assume it's a great school b/c of the reputation of NYU law, NYU Med, NYU business...

and honestly, if NYU was the cheapest dental school in the nation, I highly doubt we'd be having this incessant debate...

I wish we could have Temple School of Dentistry and Nursing. Frickin sausage fest in this joint :laugh:

Pi__Guy1 said:
I'm actually opposed to this. $16000/year? That's roughly, what, $1333 per month? I was #1 producer in my clinic among the 3rd years and that was with $1200-$1300 of production. It's gonna be tough to maintain that level of production. This past month, I had a slow month of diagnosis/treatment planning/rotations so my production was $600. I hope they don't make this a requirement in graduating...

Good points. I wasn't aware of what a "high production" student would be producing, so this was good information for me.

turkdlit said:
not to offend any NYU students, but is it true, that, from being one of the oldest and best dental schools, NYU dental school is reputed to be one of the worst dental schools today?

And it looks like my Alma Mater, USC, with its new PBL Program is headed down that road.

The pass rates on the NBDE Part Two the previous year was second lowest in the nation and less than 50% of the seniors allowed to take the exam passed the California Licensure Exam. Who wants to pay that big money and not be able to practice or go to a specialty program?

I hear the main campus administration at USC loves Dean Slavkin - he brings in research dollars. However, all the great professors and clinical instructors without tenure have resigned and left.

Fullosseousflap said:
And it looks like my Alma Mater, USC, with its new PBL Program is headed down that road.

The pass rates on the NBDE Part Two the previous year was second lowest in the nation and less than 50% of the seniors allowed to take the exam passed the California Licensure Exam. Who wants to pay that big money and not be able to practice or go to a specialty program?

I hear the main campus administration at USC loves Dean Slavkin - he brings in research dollars. However, all the great professors and clinical instructors without tenure have resigned and left.

I cant comment on USC in the old days, but the people i talk with every day at the school (both students and professors) praise the training, both academic and clinical. The clinic is jam packed and the 3rd/4th year students I talk to say they got lots of exposure.

BTW, I didnt see your name on the part time faculty directory.

ShawnOne said:
I cant comment on USC in the old days, but the people i talk with every day at the school (both students and professors) praise the training, both academic and clinical. The clinic is jam packed and the 3rd/4th year students I talk to say they got lots of exposure.

BTW, I didnt see your name on the part time faculty directory.

I left last Fall (took a leave in October to be precise) and I suppose they took my info down after the first of the year.

I wish you and the university well and hope the education there continues to improve.