O. Chem 1 Fall of Junior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockey03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this put me at a disadvantage in preparing for the MCAT? I was hoping to take it in January (and postpone if I felt I wasn't ready). I have been looking at prep courses and I was wondering how bad it would be to take an MCAT prep course while taking O. Chem 1 concurrently?

Also, is it stupid to take the MCAT without having taken O. Chem 2?

I know this is mostly an MCAT question, but I wasn't getting any responses in that section. If this needs to be moved or deleted, I understand.

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does this put me at a disadvantage in preparing for the MCAT? I was hoping to take it in January (and postpone if I felt I wasn't ready). I have been looking at prep courses and I was wondering how bad it would be to take an MCAT prep course while taking O. Chem 1 concurrently?

I know this is mostly an MCAT question, but I wasn't getting any responses in that section. If this needs to be moved or deleted, I understand.

dude you and i are in the same exact situation.....

i would really like an answer to this question

dude you and i are in the same exact situation.....

i would really like an answer to this question

DUDE, do a search...there have been two questions like this today...

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes it will put you at a disadvantage as most prep courses focus on reviewing concepts you've already learned. The goal is to jog your memory and fill in the gaps you may have. If you are starting out fresh, it'll be harder for you to keep up and learn the material really well at the same time.

As for not taking OChem2, yes it's not a good idea. Many topics that I covered in OChem2 such as carbonyl chemistry regularly come up in MCAT review and test materials. I hear though that there has been a recent shift in emphasis on the BS section of MCAT toward more biology so that may work in your favor. But going in blind may be a bad idea nonetheless.

I'm taking orgo 1 in the Fall, don't have time to orgo 2 in the spring due to graduation purposes, so i plan on taking the MCAT without orgo 2 and prep for it my whole summer starting in May. I'll most likely submit my app in early June and take the MCAT in July which is a tad late, but just gotta wait about 2 weeks till score comes in and then update my AMCAS info and add schools etc.

I would not recommend it to an average person.

If you are good at learning new information and then applying it, quickly, then this may work for you.

A lot in the MCAT are based on Ochem 1 and 2.

Yes it will put you at a disadvantage as most prep courses focus on reviewing concepts you've already learned. The goal is to jog your memory and fill in the gaps you may have. If you are starting out fresh, it'll be harder for you to keep up and learn the material really well at the same time.

As for not taking OChem2, yes it's not a good idea. Many topics that I covered in OChem2 such as carbonyl chemistry regularly come up in MCAT review and test materials. I hear though that there has been a recent shift in emphasis on the BS section of MCAT toward more biology so that may work in your favor. But going in blind may be a bad idea nonetheless.

i heard basically just knowing that from orgo 2 you will be fine.

I took organic chemistry II as a 5 week course. Maybe we didn't cover all the topics but the fundamentals I got from that class are.

NMR
Carbonyl chemistry
Amine chemistry
Aromatic chemistry
Some biochemistry such as mutarotation, fischer projections, silver oxidation, and glyocisidic bond formation.

don't most people take it in may of their junior year?
...meaning you have to prep while taking classes?

Most students suggest studying as soon as possible after class ends in May and take the MCAT in Aug/Sept or whenever it's offered during that summer.

Thanks for all of the responses!

I guess I'm going to have to decide whether I should review material and wait till April to take the MCAT or just take the princeton class now and hope I'm ready.

How bad would it be to take the class and end up waiting several months to take the MCAT in April?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of many people around here taking a typical college courseload while preparing for the MCAT and doing well. I don't buy that it's not doable.

Most students suggest studying as soon as possible after class ends in May and take the MCAT in Aug/Sept or whenever it's offered during that summer.

I don't see why you can't take an easy load and treat MCAT studying like another class. Instead of taking 15 hours take 12 and study for the MCAT.

My plan is to study this semester with a relatively easy scheduled (only biochem will be hard) and then really ramp up the studying over winter break and the first two weeks of second semester when there is no work to do yet. They take it in January. I think it is totally feasible to study while in school.

I've heard of many people around here taking a typical college courseload while preparing for the MCAT and doing well. I don't buy that it's not doable.

Beat me to it! :thumbup:

I don't see why you can't take an easy load and treat MCAT studying like another class. Instead of taking 15 hours take 12 and study for the MCAT.

My plan is to study this semester with a relatively easy scheduled (only biochem will be hard) and then really ramp up the studying over winter break and the first two weeks of second semester when there is no work to do yet. They take it in January. I think it is totally feasible to study while in school.

What's 12 credit hours? It's roughly 3 classes in most college/universities right?. Yes, you can study for the MCAT and take classes (12 credit hours), however, it's just not preferred. Why not study throughout the summer (3 months) and take the MCAT shortly afterwards? You don't want to be risking your GPA by studying for the MCAT during the semester, and trust me if you start falling behind in your classes then you will forget everything you've learned from the MCAT review books. Let’s be real here, there is no way to “study” for the MCAT, you are only reviewing/refreshing on what you've already learned. I mean sure you can always learn something by reading, but what chances are you going to retain that knowledge if you are busy studying for other exams in classes? And not to mention the OP will not just be focusing primarily on the MCAT during the semester. If the OP hasn't taken OCHEM1/2 yet then why bother studying for the MCAT? It’s a test to “test” our knowledge on what we should already know, that's why we take pre-req classes. The OP should just wait until the summer after he’s finished taking OCHEM2 in the spring. Most applicants take it in the summer at the end of their junior year anyway.

What's 12 credit hours? It's roughly 3 classes in most college/universities right?. Yes, you can study for the MCAT and take classes (12 credit hours), however, it's just not preferred. Why not study throughout the summer (3 months) and take the MCAT shortly afterwards? You don't want to be risking your GPA by studying for the MCAT during the semester, and trust me if you start falling behind in your classes then you will forget everything you've learned from the MCAT review books. Let’s be real here, there is no way to “study” for the MCAT, you are only reviewing/refreshing on what you've already learned. I mean sure you can always learn something by reading, but what chances are you going to retain that knowledge if you are busy studying for other exams in classes? And not to mention the OP will not just be focusing primarily on the MCAT during the semester. If the OP hasn't taken OCHEM1/2 yet then why bother studying for the MCAT? It’s a test to “test” our knowledge on what we should already know, that's why we take pre-req classes. The OP should just wait until the summer after he’s finished taking OCHEM2 in the spring. Most applicants take it in the summer at the end of their junior year anyway.

I think I've decided to wait until the April test date to get more of the O chem material under my belt. The reason I wanted to take it early is so that I could apply early (I've heard this is HUGE) and it would allow me to retake it or postpone the test date if I felt unprepared. If you take the test in the late summer, you don't have that option. Also, I am not super worried about studying for the MCAT and taking classes. I had a much tougher course-load last year, than I will this year.

If anyone else has any input, it would be most appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has responded! You've all helped me out a ton :)

Thanks for all of the responses!

I guess I'm going to have to decide whether I should review material and wait till April to take the MCAT or just take the princeton class now and hope I'm ready.

How bad would it be to take the class and end up waiting several months to take the MCAT in April?

Not bad at all. You should be studying/reviewing during those "several months".

yeah I agree with this

I took the ochem series my junior year. Took the mcat in April. My BS section was HALF ochem. Do not take the mcat before ochem II. There's always the chance that you could be fine, but there's also a chance that it could destroy you! I did well by the way, but I wouldn't have if I hadn't almost finished ochem 1 & 2 when I took it.

Honestly you have a valid point, but I think it is dependent on the test taker. Your route is definitely the safe one, and my plan is for students who can handle it. Everyone I know who has studied in the semester has done well. In fact, I know nobody who studied COMPLETELY in the summer.

Basically, I agree with you to an extent. There is more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

Oh and what I was saying was MY plan which I threw out there to get a response. I am not in the same situation as OP as I have finished all my prereqs.

For OP I would recommend the summer.

I took the ochem series my junior year. Took the mcat in April. My BS section was HALF ochem. Do not take the mcat before ochem II. There's always the chance that you could be fine, but there's also a chance that it could destroy you! I did well by the way, but I wouldn't have if I hadn't almost finished ochem 1 & 2 when I took it.

This is extremely helpful. I think I've decided to wait until April. I was hoping to get it out of the way in January for obvious reasons, but I don't think I'll need to take the MCAT more than once.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I think my plan is to review/study lightly and learn O. chem this semester, study over winter break, take a prep course during the spring semester with a light course-load, and then take the MCAT in April. Does this sound like a good plan?

This is extremely helpful. I think I've decided to wait until April. I was hoping to get it out of the way in January for obvious reasons, but I don't think I'll need to take the MCAT more than once.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I think my plan is to review/study lightly and learn O. chem this semester, study over winter break, take a prep course during the spring semester with a light course-load, and then take the MCAT in April. Does this sound like a good plan?

Yes. :thumb up: Just ensure that your grades come first.

This question is directed at the entire thread. Is it faulty thinking to assume that taking orgo or physics right before the MCAT is a bit of forced studying? I am not saying blow it off, but it seems it will be more fresh and "less" studying will be required compared to someone who took it 2 semester ago.

I have always wondered this, and it recently became fresh in my mind. I wonder how much biochem will force me to rehash old orgo/biology topics that will be helpful for the MCAT.

Yes. :thumb up: Just ensure that your grades come first.

This question is directed at the entire thread. Is it faulty thinking to assume that taking orgo or physics right before the MCAT is a bit of forced studying? I am not saying blow it off, but it seems it will be more fresh and "less" studying will be required compared to someone who took it 2 semester ago.

I have always wondered this, and it recently became fresh in my mind. I wonder how much biochem will force me to rehash old orgo/biology topics that will be helpful for the MCAT.

I'm glad to hear I finally have a good plan :)

Take my answer for what it is since I haven't taken the MCAT, but I think taking those classes right before the MCAT will help, but not supplement specific test prep. It will obviously be fresher in your mind (will make studying much easier) but you probably won't remember a lot of the material to the degree that is necessary for the MCAT.

Again, thanks for your help!

I'm glad to hear I finally have a good plan :)

Take my answer for what it is since I haven't taken the MCAT, but I think taking those classes right before the MCAT will help, but not supplement specific test prep. It will obviously be fresher in your mind (will make studying much easier) but you probably won't remember a lot of the material to the degree that is necessary for the MCAT.

Again, thanks for your help!

Some may criticize that you are stringing out the studying, but what could more total studying hurt? As long as you are serious about it I think it is fine.

Thanks to you as well.