O-Chem and the MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much O-Chem is on the MCAT, and how much in detail does it go?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

TigerLilies said:

Thanks.

You can't really tell what would be on the exam or even on the MCAT about the organic chemistry. All you need to do is that study and prepare for the best as much as you can. Take all the basic required classes such as Biology, chemisty and physics. Organic is also a key component for the studying for MCAT.

Study and try your best
Good luck,,,

TigerLilies said:

Thanks.

you should be able to answer most of you questions by thoroughly browsing this site:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/studentmanual/start.htm

if you still have further questions, try searching older forums or go on the MCAT Q&A sub-forum under organic chemistry hosted by QofQuimica (although make sure you don't call it o-chem!)

hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't study much Organic, because the practice tests I got through Kaplan didn't have that much. Big mistake. When I took the MCAT this August, I got a biological sciences section that was almost all Organic....

mashce said:
When I took the MCAT this August, I got a biological sciences section that was almost all Organic....
Is that really? You should have studied organic; it is an important subject. Yeah, there are so many different versions of the MCAT, and each one is different from one to another. You should try to learn all the subjects, and don’t forget organic. Yeah it was that some of the previous exams had less orgo, but it does not indicate anything about how the future exams are going to be.

The organic on the MCAT is fairly basic, thank god! And I'm not an O-chem wizard. It is mostly being familiar with a few dozen reactions and some of the basic mechanisms and you'll be fine. Certainly study it, but the bio is more indepth.

Good luck!

Fish

mashce said:
I didn't study much Organic, because the practice tests I got through Kaplan didn't have that much. Big mistake. When I took the MCAT this August, I got a biological sciences section that was almost all Organic....

How interesting!

I took the august mcat as well, and i had a biological sciences section that was almost all bio. I think i had a total of 2 passages worth of orgo questions on my test. Study hard, because the mcat forms are very unpredictable.

Good luck.

So would I be fine if I took the MCAT in April while taking the second semester of Organic Chem?

Thanks.

TigerLilies said:
So would I be fine if I took the MCAT in April while taking the second semester of Organic Chem?

Thanks.
One MCAT test I took had a couple of questions regarding a mechanism that I learned very late in the 2nd semester of organic. Be sure to keep up with it all and if there is something you didn't cover in class, it's best to look over it just in case.

Organic on MCAT is pretty basic stuff. On my test form, I only had one lousy passage. Sigh...

scentimint said:
if you still have further questions, try searching older forums or go on the MCAT Q&A sub-forum under organic chemistry hosted by QofQuimica (although make sure you don't call it o-chem!)

No, "o-chem" is fine. I just don't like anyone calling organic that nasty four-letter word. :eek: But I won't really refuse to answer your questions even if you do you use it. :p BTW, and on a completely different note, I like your ID, scentimint; it's very clever.

OP, it is impossible to predict how much organic will show up on your test form. I would guess that my own BS section was probably half and half. So you should go ahead and prepare using the AAMC study guide for organic chemistry, which lists all of the topics that could potentially show up. The link that scentimint gave works for me as well; were you able to open it? And in answer to your second question, yes, it is fine if you take the MCAT while you are still taking organic II. You will probably need to learn the biomolecules (peptides, sugars, lipids) on your own though, because these topics show up on the test and they are usually covered in the last part of organic II. If you have any specific questions about the MCAT or organic chem, feel free to visit the subforum and ask away. :)

QofQuimica said:
BTW, and on a completely different note, I like your ID, scentimint; it's very clever.

thanks! it's one of those things that i came up with when trying to find a creative screen name in high school and it kind of stuck with me :p

ps i like your avatar. also very clever :D