o chem at a 4 year after 2 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussiN1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, i took organic chemistry 1 and 2 at a community college in 2014, where i received an A- and an A. boston university and tufts require this be taken at an accredited 4 year, so i was wondering if it would look bad if i took organic chem 1 and 2 again at a 4 year college starting this summer or fall of 2016. boston university said i could take advanced organic chemistry as a substitute, but there aren't many schools that offer this specialized course around my apartment. would u guys rather take advanced organic chem or just re-take organic chemistry 1 and 2 for prehealth majors? and would the latter choice look bad like i'm trying to pad my GPA? i really didn't know about this and would like to stay around the massachusetts new england area. thanks everyone and have a great day

Members don't see this ad.

hello all, i took organic chemistry 1 and 2 at a community college in 2014, where i received an A- and an A. boston university and tufts require this be taken at an accredited 4 year, so i was wondering if it would look bad if i took organic chem 1 and 2 again at a 4 year college starting this summer or fall of 2016. boston university said i could take advanced organic chemistry as a substitute, but there aren't many schools that offer this specialized course around my apartment. would u guys rather take advanced organic chem or just re-take organic chemistry 1 and 2 for prehealth majors? and would the latter choice look bad like i'm trying to pad my GPA? i really didn't know about this and would like to stay around the massachusetts new england area. thanks everyone and have a great day
Isn't this your answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would re-take because I'm betting most other D-schools probably won't accept an advanced o-chem course in place of orgo 1 & 2. If you retake and do well you aren't hindered if you decide to apply broadly. Plus you will be re-learning old material which should make the courses easier.

Also, I wouldn't worry about GPA-padding. Schools just want to see that you have a good grade. And they will understand why you "retook" the courses.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't this your answer?

i could not find a school close to me that offers advanced organic chemistry. so as the majority said, i will re-take organic chem 1 and 2 at a 4 year where the commute isn't so bad. plus, it won't be as difficult as advanced organic chem