O-chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Is tert-butyl cation sp3 or sp2 hydrdized? I think it is sp3-like, considering that an empty lobe exists on the central carbon. Any answers? it will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, it's sp2 hybridized. Because there are three bonds (to the CH3 groups) and NO nonbonded electrons. It's a planar, 120 degree structure and bond angle. There's a vacant, unhybridized p orbital.

Hope this helps.

my prof said it was sp2. But are those bonds exactly at 120. A little modelling will help.

It's SP2

It gets tricky when you try to use logic or general pattern

but if you take the time and draw a molecular orbital diagram, you will realize that tert-butyl cation is sp2 (with an empty P or pi orbital that is not involved with hybridization)

If you really want to understand bonding, pick up an inorganic textbook or physical chemistry textbook and learn how to construct molecular orbitals. Not only will it be helpful in this situation (is it sp3 or sp2) but it also helps with spatial relationships of bonds - so you know which electrons from which orbitals are involved in which reaction (i.e., diels-alder)