O my God, Calculus!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasminegab

psych student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok....I've been out of high school now for like 12yrs. I had an Algebra class like 10yrs ago, which I got an A in. Now I'm taking Algebra and Trig class in preparation for Calculus 1. I'm a nervous reck. I had calculus before and I had no clue what the professor was talking about. I'm like so afraid that after this class, I still won't know enough to be prepared for Calculus 1.

Someone please give me some reassurance that I'll be ready for this class for Spring Semester. Well, let me restate that, someone please tell me what they did to prepare themselves for Calculus 1.

Thanks,

JasmineGab

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, Calculus is easier than pre-cal. I went to a pretty tough high school, and barely made a B in precal. In calc I and II last year, I had a 99 average.

If you have a good understanding of algebra (rock solid) and trig, you should do fine in calc. Its just two major concepts. Ask your professor or TA questions if you have problems... don't move on until you completely understand what you've covered. If you even only miss one problem on an exam, ask your professor how you should approach the problem differently.

Whether you believe calculus will be easier or harder for you... take it easy. First of all, you're obviously taking on the premed curriculum, so you should be a bit more focused than you were 10+ years ago. All calculus needs is some tender lovin and attention, regardless of how much of a b!tch it becomes. Do well in trig, it will take you a long way in calculus. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jasmine,

First of all, just taking a deep breath and having a little confidence will go VERY far in your success in Calc. I took Calc over again after 10 years when I started my post bacc. I did well in high school, but remember not really understanding it very well. When I took it again I thought it was really easy. My brain was clearer and I had some perspective. Make sure you find a good professor (some at my post bacc school were awful but I found an amazing teacher) and HAVE CONFIDENCE. All of the premed classes are doable, if you work hard enough and believe that you can succeed, you can!

Take that Calc, and put your foot up its A$$. Then, after you've fully beaten the random friggin x's and y's and the derivatives out of that Calc, stand over it while it cries. Be like, WHAT?? WHAT Calc? You want some more. It'll be like NO, NO, I've had enough. Take your A. Just leave me alone, I've had all I can take. Take your A, take it, take it, just get outta here.:laugh: :clap:

I think most of the people I know agree that trig is a lot harder than calc, what with all the stupid rules and relations to memorize, and those sticky proofs. Calc doesn't get rough until multivariable and differential equations, which are completely unnecessary for premed.

You'll do fine, I assure you.

Well, I had the opposite experience from alot of you guys, I just loved precalc and trig but thought I had stepped off the deep end of a muddy pool when I got to Calc. The very first day I had a sinking feeling that it was just going to be a nightmare and it was.

I like algebra and math in general, but calculus to me was like some incredibly painful, demoralizing exercise in despair. I crawled out with a B- and the class went from 36 + to about 11 students by the final. People dropped out, or just stopped coming. I was shocked.

And yet, even now I look at an integral and I'm like, what the heck ? And I worked like a DOG on my exercises !

If that many people are dropping, then I have to think you just got an evil teacher. I blame the prof for that kind of attrition.

Originally posted by Nutmeg
Calc doesn't get rough until multivariable and differential equations, which are completely unnecessary for premed.

Unless you are in Premed Engineering at Arizona State.. hehe...

JasmineGab,

Brush up a bit on Trig, it will come in handy in Calc., and get a good prof.. makes a heck of a difference! Had a russian instructor (I am a russian born myself, thought it would be easier..) BOY WAS I WRONG! This dude had like the worst accent since RAMBO III! :D Anyways... just a bit more confidence, not as tough as you may think! Good luck!

I agree that you need to be comfortable with trig. I found pre-calculus to be much harder than calculus, though. Good luck! :)

Make sure you know your trig and algebra because if not you are in a lot of trouble. If you know the basics you will find calculus to be a pretty easy class.

Every time I go to my proof writing class I miss the good ole days Calculus.

I took Calc 1 as an AP class in high school, and I owned it. I took Calc 2 in college with a professor who couldn't speak English, and that was the end of Calc for me. I did crappy in the class because I couldn't understand what he was saying, and I couldn't even go to the TA for help because she couldn't speak English either (the prof was Chinese, the TA was Ukrainian).

I got a friggen 2.3 in Trig and a beautiful score of 3.2 (becomes 3.4 in fall, damn teacher...) in Calculus 2. Numbers just totally switched around for me.

If you want to do good, get the solutions manual, and attempt each odd problem, then look at their solutions. Then find the TA, and get the answers for the even problems, and re-do them. There is a website called calc101 (http://www.calc101.com/) that does automatic derivatives and integration for you (integration costs money). But it's worth it, because they go step-by-step in teaching you how to do it. Also, don't trust it...there is that % error. Some of my class-mates discovered the TI-89 calculator, which does integration and derivatives and normal/tang, etc. automatically. Buy one, and check your answers...but be aware that you may not setup the equation correctly. Also, eafter each section take a blank peice of paper and write your tips and tricks down, any that seem obvious and easy to do. So you can memorize them for test day. Put in a good 2 hours of studying.

Let me tell you, the above is guaranteed to give you an A. In calculus 2, I failed my 1st test with a 57%, my 2nd test I got 67%...I had about a 1.9 in that class, then I did the above, and my first test after studying like that I got 105% -- she threw in a 10 point curve because everyone's grades were so low -- and after that nothing less than 90%. So rest assured, it does work. (Coming from a guy that is terrible with numbers)

The only hard thing to grasp in Calculus 1 is the concepts, and then the only hardcore thing after that is the beastly "applied" stuff comes in. But the teacher should explain that thoroughly. Also, if a problem looks huge to you, get some balls and actually try it. I used to get so intimidated in calculus, that I wouldn't even attempt the problem. If you get it wrong, you'll most likely get points just for trying! Take the problems easy one part at a time, read the question slowly, and do the easy questions first (get as many easy points as you can, while you can).

Anywho...good luck!

I'll just add that calc. sucks & I had to suffer through calc I & II this summer before I started med school. From my understanding you'll never need it again. Take it pass fail & get it over with.

I would just like to add the calculus series was incredibly cool (especially calc III). Basically math rocks and you all need to stop the hateration.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I would just like to add the calculus series was incredibly cool (especially calc III). Basically math rocks and you all need to stop the hateration.

word, and multi-variable was the best of the series.

I would say multivariable was the best except that I love series and sums. Cant wait to take Real Analysis next semester:clap:

I would audit the class first ("audit" meaning you sit in the class and do all the homework, but you're not officially enrolled in the class). You'd have a much better picture of what calculus is all about, and you'd have some solid calculus background before officially taking the course. You'd feel much more confident when actually taking it. As a math major, I gotta say you need confidence to do well in math. Good luck. :)

Originally posted by kwanny
I would audit the class first ("audit" meaning you sit in the class and do all the homework, but you're not officially enrolled in the class). You'd have a much better picture of what calculus is all about, and you'd have some solid calculus background before officially taking the course. You'd feel much more confident when actually taking it. As a math major, I gotta say you need confidence to do well in math. Good luck. :)

Come on! Calculus is a breeze! I mean seriously what is hard about Calc 1? After you get over the initial "definition of a limit" business it is quite easy. Take the class, just make use of the tutorial center and the solutions manual.

As a former calculus 1 and 2 tutor, I can tell you that the best way to prepare for calculus is to know your algebra. Practice your algebra and functions inside and out because once you become adept at manipulating variables, calculus will come easy to you.

I hated algebra (I and II). Trig was okay. I hated precalc. I LOVED calculus. I worked hard, but it made sense to me more than the basic "factor the binomial equation" crap that was algebra. Math had never been my strong suit before calculus and I was scared going into it, but it ended up being one of my favorite classes. Due to schedulding conflicts I was never able to take calc II or III, but I really wish I had. If your prof sucks, get thee to a tutor!! It's one of those things you really do need to practice at every day instead of cramming for exams. Best of luck to you!!