!/o Psychology Info??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all....i've decided to purse a graduate degree in i/o psychology. i've been looking into programs and not many schools in the US offer a masters degree. most are phd programs.

any i/o psychologist or students out there...please advise. what schools offer the best programs?

i will probably be headed in a consulting type career for a HR management company so i/o psych seems to be the way to go.

i have my undergrad in psych and im not familiar with this area of study...are grad admissions competitive?

any and all advice will be very helpful. thank you!.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I am not going into I/O, so my help will be limited. I know there were a few people around here a few months ago that are going into I/O, and I hope they are still around to help.

As far as I know, I/O is still quite competitive, although not to the same level as clinical and counseling. If you have a solid GPA, GRE, and some experience under your belt, I think you'll be okay. I think you best bet for looking up programs will be to purchase the latest edition (which is coming out Aug. 15) of the APA's Graduate Study in Psychology. I believe that all programs are listed in here, masters and Ph.D. level (link). Also, I was looking around and found this list of programs on SIOP's website (link). You can look at the full list or narrow it down by your specifications

I hope this helps and good luck!

thank you so much for the fast response! i will look into getting the book as soon as it comes out.

i dont have a stellar academic record. my gpa was around 3.3, psych gpa around 3.5. i have not taken the gre's yet...i intend on diving into them ASAP so i can take it before the november 2007 changes take place.

i have been working pretty much full time since graduation (december 04) and currently work as a recruiter (jr. consultant) for a search firm.

so i'd like to get into the best program possible. in this field.....i'm sure where i get my graduate degree from will be extremely important in landing the best job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also in the clinical realm so take this with a grain of salt, though I was considering I/O programs (or more likely, Org. Behavior which is basically I/O but taught in business schools).

blindeblonde is correct in that while it isn't as competitive as clinical, its still very competitive. Unfortunately your GPA will probably cause some problems for you, but your work experience may overcome that to some extent.

Wish I could offer something regarding master's programs, but I was only interested in a PhD. If it is anything like the rest of psych, getting into a master's is MUCH MUCH easier than getting into a PhD so that works in your favor.

Hey Wildcat, I am just starting my PhD program in I/O so the information I can give you is limited to the application process. There are a good amount of master's programs, although they do not seem to be connected to a PhD program and are almost all terminal master's programs. Here's a link of master's programs from SIOP's website with alot of info on avg. grades, gre's etc. http://www.siop.org/gtp/GtpLookup.asp

My grades were similar to yours about a 3.5 and 3.6 in Psych. Did you do any research while in school? Are you still in contact with your professors?
Does your job have relevance to the I/O field? Also the GRE, especially the Quant. section seemed to have been very important as I/O is very statistically oriented.

These are just experiences I had while applying and stuff that my I/O professor and I/O PhD's told me the admissions found important. But I would say if you pull off around a 1200 on the GRE and can get some good letter's of recommendation you should be able to get into some decent/good Master's programs.
If there is anything more I can do to help feel free to ask. Good luck with the application process.