SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

OAT Bio section score da main scale that shows how prepared u are 4 opto school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Apple_Pie, May 12, 2007.

1. Apple_Pie

Apple_Pie Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2005
    hi,

I have been accepted to an opto school, but now the hard work comes in. I am trying to find out how intellectually prepared/capable I am to handle the studies in Optometry school.

My overall GPA in college was 3.0, but my science GPA as 2.7 !!! my science GPA sucked because it included subjects like Orgo, physics etc which I hated and sucked at. However I think I am good at biology. My overall OAT score was 300, because I screwed up in the reading comprehension part(had 230 score for reading). My "total science" OAT score was 330. However,my score for OAT biology section was 360

I am guessing optometry school will focus mainly on anatomy,physiology, pharmacology, etc which are all subsubjects of biology, so I shouldn't have much problem, because I am good in biology. Also I will deal with orgo, physics very little.

So my question is above all, would you think that the OAT biology section score is the main scale that would predict how successful a student would be in opto school ?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eyedeal

eyedeal

May 12, 2007
    which school did you get accepted to?

4. Spearmint1

Spearmint1 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    you really should stop asking ridiculous question. you got accepted, just leave at that. you want to ask how you would do in opto school, ask yourself that question next year.

5. a1bui

a1bui 5+ Year Member

May 10, 2005
    I'm just entering 2007 too, but I can already tell that biology on the OAT isn't going to matter at all, as a scale. This is for several reasons: If you think about the bio section, it's all general biology; which is a subject we have taken ever since middle school, so of course you'd know it well. Secondly, there was an ample amount of time to learn/relearn the material. Lastly, only a portion of classes will be bio-related; you're forgetting classes like optics, pharmacology (which I imagine would have some chemistry involved), biochemistry, optometric theory, contact lens, CLINICS, labs, etc., so I wouldn't count on using that as a scale.

If anything, I would think the reading section would be a good scale (though this is also arbitrary, I'm just saying if you HAD to choose a scale). Why? The information that was presented in the reading section was new, and we had to analyze and learn it in a short amount of time. If optometry school is as busy with heavy courseload as everyone has been saying, then that's how we'll be learning. Lots of new info (some old, if you've taken similar courses), and a short amount of time to retain that new info. That's probably why a lot of the schools think the reading comp. score is most important (as I have been told by admission reps).

Just go in without a scale, hoping that the bio you've learned thus far will help as building blocks, and work your butt off both academically, and clinically. As spearmint says...the only way you'll know how intellectually prepared you are, is to experience it yourself. Mentally, I'm prepared as I'll ever be to work my butt off; intellectually...I'll find out in < 3 months =)

GOOD LUCK!

6. Habitual Rx

Habitual Rx 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Canada
    I'm really into the idea that speaking English may be a good start.

7. daysend85

daysend85 2+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2007
    A 360 on the bio section of the OAT doesn't necessarily mean you're going to fly through optometry school. The purpose of the OAT is just to see if you are capable of taking a scientific standardized exam. The material covered on the OAT is much much more general than the information that will be included in your optometry courses.

8. fonziefonz

fonziefonz 7+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Holy unnecessary big writing Batman! :eek:

9. Subiedubie

Subiedubie Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2005
    :laugh: That's just too funny.

10. hfpepperbean47

hfpepperbean47 You wish you were me 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007

My thoughts exactly.

11. eyelectric

eyelectric Pacific Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007

If I'm not mistaken, you will be dealing heavily with physics (maybe not mechanical physics, but definitely optics). I know optics is a thorn in the side of many an optometry student. Since you already got accepted, just try to prepare yourself as best you can and good luck! :luck: