OAT Experience!

chiefkeef

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY

So I wrote my OAT today. Thought I'd share my experience with you all; over the past few months I've used this forum as emotional support hahahaha, so wanted to give back a little bit.

Little bit about me. I just finished my 4th year at the University of Toronto, majoring in biology and psychology. I decided on optometry a little late, so I'm staying for a 5th year to finish off prereqs that the University of Waterloo (only school in Canada) needs.

TODAY. So I got to the Prometric centre. They gave me a locker, took my thumbprint, picture, and I had to sign in. My test was scheduled for 11:30, but because I got there a little bit early, I ended up starting around 11 or so.

Biology: Very scattered. Because I did a lot of bio in school, I didn't study for this section too much. Any topic was fair game! I definitely panicked on a few questions, but overall, it went pretty well.

General Chemistry: Let me tell ya, I am no chemistry genius. I got a very bad mark in first year chem, and have stayed away from it ever since. However, I found that this section was mostly straightforward! All of the questions were very fair, nothing was designed to trip you up.

Organic Chemistry: Again, not my strong suit, and it showed. For me, the questions were very 50/50; some I knew right away, some I had no idea and guessed.

Reading Comprehension: I wasn't too too worried about this section; I had done a bunch of practice from Kaplan and OAT Achiever. BUT these passages were quite a bit more tricky, and written in such a way to potentially trip you up. I read each passage first, and then answered the relevant questions.

Break: Taaaaake this break, I can't stress it enough. Go outside, get some fresh air. I stayed for 10 minutes, wrote out some physics formulas, and then went outside to enjoy NATURE.

Physics: This was the section I was most worried about. I did very well in physics in first year, but when I did some practice tests, I was consistently scoring low, and running out of time. However, this went fairly well! I found it to be much easier than any of the practice programs I used (ie. much simpler calculations). It was about 50/50 concepts and calculations.

Quantitative Reasoning: Very straightforward. Some probability questions that I was little iffy on, but other than that, very fair. As per the new guideline, there was no trigonometry, but lots of the quantitative comparison questions; still, very simple.

SCORES
Bio
: 380
GenChem: 400
OrgChem: 320
RC: 350
Physics: 350
QR: 380

TS/AA: 370/360

So overall, I'm very happy with these scores! I started studying about mid-May, with very varied studying hours (I went to British Columbia for 5 weeks during this time). Primarily, I used the big Kaplan book (2017-2018), and Chad's videos for General Chem. About 3 weeks out, I bought the OAT Achiever program (7 tests), as well as the OAT Destroyer books, and just worked on these questions. These 2 resources were definitely a bit too extensive, with the questions much harder than what the actual test was. Still, they pointed out my weaknesses, and if I had to do it all over again, I would 100% invest in these resources.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Fellow Canadian! Man Waterloo is competitive. And what about McGill? Parlez-vous francais?

Last edited:
congrats on the scores, thats awesome :) what would you say was the best resource for the QR material? for some reason, basic math seems to be my biggest struggle and I would love to get advice as to what worked for you :) also, did you go through Chads quizzes, and if so, how do you think they compared to the actual exam material?

congrats on the scores, thats awesome :) what would you say was the best resource for the QR material? for some reason, basic math seems to be my biggest struggle and I would love to get advice as to what worked for you :) also, did you go through Chads quizzes, and if so, how do you think they compared to the actual exam material?

Im so glad to hear you did well on your OAT! Im a UAlberta student and I wrote mine on the 31st as well and I had a similar experience. I personally didn't look at Chads quizzes, but for QR I almost ran out of time ONLY in QR. QR had a lot of comparing two different equations or math statements and it'd slow me down a lot because you'd have to figure out both of them and then compare the two. But other than that, no trig, no volume questions. Area was tested as well as perimeter. There were a handful of word problems too, so maybe study that so you get quick at it. Know when to use the choices to plug them into the question and when not to (wastes a lot of time if you do it for each question). not many probability questions though, so don't spend too much time on that if you don't seem to get it!Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)