OAT: for all who took it-plz comment

mtrlOATgal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I will be taking the OAT soon and I really want to get into optometry- we all do lol. I will be applying to Waterloo, U de M, NY, NECO. Pennsylvania & Berkley....
I am finishing my undergrad- should I try to do a masters in vision science first and then that would better my chances of getting in?

But the main point is the OAT in this forum right? Alright I really dont know the level and scope of the topics covered on the OAT- should I get the kaplan book because its not really helpful apparently

I am especially worried about the organic chem, math and physics part- havent done physics in years......

as for reading comprehension- what are we reading?

I wrote the DAT before so if someone could relate with it let me know.

Please comment- I really want your opinion:)
Thank you! I really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
I will be taking the OAT soon and I really want to get into optometry- we all do lol. I will be applying to Waterloo, U de M, NY, NECO. Pennsylvania & Berkley....
I am finishing my undergrad- should I try to do a masters in vision science first and then that would better my chances of getting in?

But the main point is the OAT in this forum right? Alright I really dont know the level and scope of the topics covered on the OAT- should I get the kaplan book because its not really helpful apparently

I am especially worried about the organic chem, math and physics part- havent done physics in years......

as for reading comprehension- what are we reading?

I wrote the DAT before so if someone could relate with it let me know.

Please comment- I really want your opinion:)
Thank you! I really appreciate it

Finishing up your masters might give you an advantage, but I doubt it's necessary. Most school accept bachelor degrees.

The OAT is much like the DAT except for the DAT has that visual section with the angles and stuff, and we have physics. I was worried about physics to because it was definetly my weakest point. I just studies formulas, the problems are pretty basic. I ended up with a 320, some, I'll admit, by guessing.:D

The reading comp. is so boring. It's the worse part of the test because you read stuff on crocodiles, pontoon boats, and other boring stuff most people could care less about. I did have one kinda cool passage on the use of lasers in medicine including the eye. Most of the time you are reading dull stuff.

should not be very difficult for you at all, I think alot of people here scare you a little with their stories. But it is not very difficult if you have a bachelors in science, and prepare at least a month or two in advance.

the material is identical to the DAT except you replace the visualizing dimension thingy section with physics. (the OAT is made by the DAT people)

As for the Kaplan material, i found it very helpful. As do most others. Kaplan generally gives questions more difficult that on the actual OAT, so if you feel comfortable with the Kaplan exams, you should be more than ready for the real OATs.

Use examkracker books and the 1001 questions. If theres a section that you really don't understand, turn to the kaplan MCAT book or your textbooks from undergrad.

The Kaplan Ochem and OAT book are really useful and worth reading/buying. Good luck!