OAT Scores and Competitiveness

Nineman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just took my OAT this afternoon and I did not score what I was hoping for. My scores were AA: 300 TS: 290. Looking back on it, I thought the test went fairly well, but I was a tad disappointed to see that I scored a 290 in Biology and a 260 in Physics, while scoring a 300 or higher in every other section. In terms of applying to schools, I have submitted my OptomCAS application to six schools: IU, ICO, SCO, NOVA, Midwestern (IL), and UMSL, as well as all the supplemental applications for IU, SCO, NOVA, Midwestern, and UMSL.

Outside of the OAT, I consider myself to be a very strong applicant. In terms of information that is relevant for Optometry programs my numbers follow: 3.78 cumulative GPA, 3.5 cumulative science GPA, eight hours total of shadowing two optometrists at a local clinic, and accumulated over 1,000+ hours and a year and a half experience of working alongside a vision therapist.

Additionally, I am extremely involved around campus. I have served as the President of the Pre-Optometry Club, Founding Father and Executive Board Member in my Fraternity, volunteered at a local homeless shelter every week since my Freshman year (I am currently a Senior), worked as an orientation leader for International and North American students, and helped organize and participate in an event to help aid to the need of the local homeless population in Omaha, NE.

Overall, I am extremely worried that my OAT score will severely affect my chances of securing an interview with any of the six schools I had applied to. I do believe I have a passion for the field, as my main goal is to become to first bilingual speaking optometrist in my hometown and use my proficiency in speaking Spanish to help the under-served Latin American communities in my hometown. Eventually, I would also like to open a clinic in another area in my hometown, which would primarily serve the African American population. Regardless, what do you guys think? I have been contacted by three admissions directors asking me to send my scores to them as soon as possible, which I will do on Monday morning. However, should I send my unofficial scores to them on Monday morning and wait and see if my overall application is competitive enough to warrant an interview from any of the additional schools once my official scores are reported? Or should I plan to retake the OAT and raise all my scores to at least a 300?

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask the schools & see what they say ! You have a great GPA & resume so they might ask you to retake or not

I'm taking the OAT soon so I wanted to know what practice material you used for studying & what practice exams you used & how they compared to the actual OAT

also did you have any geometry & trig on your QR section or were the new quantitative comparison questions on there ? Thanks !

The TS and other sciences under 300 is not great but since your gpa is high it may offset it. It may also be a red flag to admissions committees but it's hard to say. I would send your OAT score report and see what they have to say. Worst case, they ask you to retake before they offer you an interview. Best case they offer you an interview and you get an acceptance or a conditional acceptance.
You seem like a strong applicant but the oat is going to bring you down a notch. Don't be discouraged, not everyone gets the score they want the first time.

Thanks guys! I have been reading over the the other threads of people that had similar OAT scores as myself, and I feel a little better about my chances of getting an interview. For at least 3 schools, the admissions directors have personally emailed me saying they were impressed with my application without the score, so, I think going forward my plan is to send the scores, see the feedback I receive and go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I have been reading over the the other threads of people that had similar OAT scores as myself, and I feel a little better about my chances of getting an interview. For at least 3 schools, the admissions directors have personally emailed me saying they were impressed with my application without the score, so, I think going forward my plan is to send the scores, see the feedback I receive and go from there.

Update: was told I am going to be receiving an intervie from SCO, they just need to let me know when it will be - they said late Septmeber or October

Reactions: 1 users