DawgOD

SCO C/o 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Status
Optometry Student
well the 260's are just not acceptable.. they stick out like a white rose in the midst of spring. Especially the physics.

Seems like you are pretty good at most sciences though.. so u wont have that much work to put into the exam except for physics and QR.

RC is just about hoping they give you easy interesting passages. Not really much you can do to practice for that IMO, but anything lower than 300 in RC is suspect.

The good thing about RC and QR is that one time you take it, you may score low, but the next time you blow it out of the water.

Arctic

PCO Class of 2014
Aug 16, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
Alright, well, I think your problem was obviously that you weren't sufficiently prepared for Physics, RC, or QR. How strong are you at math in general??? Now that you have taken the OAT once, you have a better idea as to how the problems will be worded, so adjust your study habits accordingly! Geometry could take awhile for you to get comfortable with, but so long as you do enough practice, your scores should improve a lot. Also, for RC, you may want to check out this article I wrote:

http://optometrystudents.com/oat-test-prep-reading-comprehension/

That gives a fairly detailed account of my strategic appraisal of the section. Find a strategy that works for you, and practice enough so that you are comfortable with it.

I have years of tutoring experience. Whenever I see a student say something along the lines of "everything was worded completely different" then I immediately question that student's fundamental approach to math. It is not enough to simply memorize a bunch of damned equations (although that is still necessary). You MUST be able to understand how//when those equations apply in all different types of circumstances; that's they key to solving OAT-style word problems (of which there are plenty, as I'm sure you know by now). So get as much practice as you can in applying your knowledge of math in situations where the approach isn't necessarily straightforward.

In case you weren't aware, the OAT is nearly identical to the DAT. There's a lot more DAT material than OAT material, so try looking at DAT practice tests that, based on your experience, match the style of the OAT. The only minor problem is that, well, the DAT doesn't cover Physics, so you'll have to find other study resources for that section.

JennieJoy

ICO 2014!
Feb 23, 2010
Chicago
Status
Pre-Optometry
I have a 3.7gpa. Tons of leadership/volunteer/shadowing. I got a 290TS 310AA on my OAT 310Bio/310Gchem/260Orgo/290Physics/360RC/340QR

and i got into ICO and NECO, the only schools I applied too. Your oat score isn't everything.

Mar 9, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
The Kaplan MCAT book helped me out in every section I believe! The physics part was a decent review of many of the basic formulas and types of questions you'll see on the exam.

My prob was in general chem- so I went out and got a personal tutor and went through most of about 18 chapters in 6 weeks. Gruling but very worth it as it pulled my score up a TON! As for the OAT destroyer and all that... I think it's kind of pointless because the questions are rediculously harder than the real exam-and it just stresses you out.

Try the MCAT review book by kaplan and maybe a tutor- good luck!!
It got me a better score and accepted!

lnh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
Your oat score isn't everything.
Yes, but your GPA is significantly better than the OP's. For them, the OAT is more important than for you.

I wholeheartedly agree with Arctic. The QR is not so much a math test, as a reasoning and critical thinking test. Most QR questions are just simple equations that have been rearranged using identities and basic mathematic principles. Once you've realized how they rearranged it, it becomes simple enough to solve in your head or with a few scribbles of your pen. This is the most efficient method. The problem is that most students try to solve it as-is, and end up with some ridiculously long, convoluted, math problem that becomes a major time-suck. Save that method as a last resort if you have extra time at the end.

As for RC, there's not much you can do. I don't know what current strategies you use, but to save time, you can "index" the passages on your dry erase board. Just number each paragraph and jot down the main idea and a few key words from the paragraph beside it. That way when you go back to answer questions, you will have an idea where to look.

For physics, use an MCAT book. It's overkill, but it will prepare you well.

You have to wait 90 days to schedule your re-take exam, but I think you can reapply to take it before that time period is up. Good luck! :)

Jul 30, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
Use Chad's videos on Coursesaver for your physics, he is a well known tool for the dental crowd.
Didn't know chad has a video for physics, do you mind post a link? I can't seem to find it on coursesaver's website. Thanks :)

Mar 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
I took the oat again, here are my scores not much better:

first time current score
QR-280 QR- 300
RC-260 RC-320
Bio-350 Bi0-320
Gen chem-320 gen chem-310
Ochem-320 ochem-280
physics 260 physics-250

TS 310 TS-290
AA-300 AA 300

This time I felt like I knew how to do every physics questions, but I ended up with a worse score I dont know how this could be because I spend 4 hours a day for 2 and a half hours on this subject..very disappointing i just knew I understood it better.

Does anyone know how I could get my test re scored just for physics?

Well now I am in a bind because I am getting into optometry school no matter what its takes.

Does any one know what schools combine oat scores? I searched and found nothing.

what should my next step be?

physicslover

7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
I dont think you can get your test rescored for the physics section only, I think if you were to audit your score it would have to be for the entire exam, correct me if i am wrong.

Hmm..your OAT TS went down and your AA remained the same. And you have 2 subjects under 300 now. It seems that Physics is the only one you never got over 300 both times. And your improvement in RC is impressive, how did you manage to improve it like that, if you don't mind me asking? Also, it's strange that your mark went down for OC, do you know why that is?

I think most schools take the most recent score, and some schools take the best but not combine for each subject. I would con tat the schools individually and find out. I guess if you needed to take it again, analyze your scores and try and figure out what you were doing wrong/right. Make sure your absolutely confident before retaking it. You seem to be very capable of doing well based on your scores. Gluck!