Oat

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TATISPICE

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO TO ALL OF YOU! I WAS LOOKING INTO OPTOMETRY AS A CAREER AND I HAVE TO TAKE THE OAT. CAN ANYONE WRITE BACK AND TELL ME A BIT ABOUT THE EXAM AND THE LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY...I DONT KNOW IF ANY OF YOU HAVE TAKEN THE MCAT..BUT IF YOU HAVE...IS IT EASIER THAN THAT? PLEASE HELP ME OUT..I HAVE REQUESTED A PACKET OF INFORMATION TO REGISTER FOR THE EXAM..SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF ANY OF YOU WOULD JUST LET ME KNOW A BIT ABOUT IT...
GLORIA

Members don't see this ad.

The OAT is easier (in my opinion, though I have never taken the MCAT, I used MCAT materials to supplement my sparse OAT materials) than the MCAT in the since that it is more about basic knowledge rather than passage analysis (applied).
It is divided into 4 sections:
1. Natural sciences: biology (40 questions), general chemistry (30 questions), and organic chemistry (30 questions)-90 minutes
2. Reading Comprehension (3 passages)-50 minutes
3. Physics (40 questions), 50 minutes
4. Quantitative Reasoning (50 questions)-45 minutes

Ovarall, it is not that bad, but be coginzant of the time constraints; that is what did me in on a couple of sections. If your peruse the OD forum, there are several OAT posts that should be able to provide you with additional information. I hope this helps.

MCAT is waaay more difficult than OAT. I got 29 on my MCAT and 99% on OAT. M takes all day and O is only half a day. A lot more pressure while taking M, while O is just a walk in the park. If you can ace M while bother with O. of course taking M is a great way get ready for O. Want be an optometrist? It's a loser's career, oh ya I am an optometrist and hate it totally. You could say I am a L. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi OD or not,
I've lurking on this board for a while and saw many of your negative posts/views about optometry.

Can you tell me why and explain it a little more about yourself?

I too am a prospective optometry student. I applied both dental and optometry and got in. I didnt apply med. school but I had 34 on the MCAT and my GPA is near the top. Since last summer, my advisor tried to push into the "med school application" and she said getting accepted to med. school wont be a problem for me.
I am deciding to go into optometry schools and I know there are many things about optometry that are not so bright(opthal vs optom, refracting optician, oversupply of ODs in big city, commercial optometry, no respect in some health community and you could probably tell me more)

So can you tell me why optometry is bad? Why did you enter this profession? Where did you graduate and what kind of practice mode are you in right now? And last, what is the problem you are facing right now?(I believe you do because if you are happy you wouldnt come here complain about the profession)

If you dont feel comfortable you can always email me.

Happy Holidays

valine,

Optometry is a very bright career!! Don't listen to OD or not, the majority of OD's out there in PRIVATE PRACTICE love their jobs. You don't have to wory about opticians refracting, and about OD's vs. Ophthalm. There are MANY Ophthalmologsts that love woking with with OD's and see the need for them in health care. Mabye OD or not doesn't like helping people. Optometry is about helping people with vision problems, and thats rewarding!! :)

Off to take my last final exam of the semester :eek: :eek:

christie:
personal attacks are NOT NICE. but since u started, let me ask you some questions: Have u woked one day as an optometrist? don't tell me working for an OD is the same as working as an OD. I don't know what u learned at PCO, whatever u said sounds like from some textbook/classnotes. Only idiot will NOT worry about refracting optician. OMD already heavily depend on opthalmic tech. Why do u think that OMD try to seperate them as eye MD? they also have a eye MD site. Why do u think PA OD can't treat glaucoma for the longest time? Why do u think NYS OD can't do puntal plug even though it's on your 4th year board exam? because one OMD in nys sued so they are the only one doing it. Why do u think OD have to fight every step getting DPA/TPA? Why do u think FL OD almost can't co-manage with OMD for post cataract patients? Why do u think primary MD won't send patients to OD, rather to OMD? the list goes on and on. also theck out the optical store around PCO, see how much ODs are charging for eye exam. they are future staring right at u. I am posting all the fact for future student before they spend 4 yrs and $$$.

all comments are welcome, but no personal attacks please.

with a 34on MCAT,why waste your talent. go all the way. be an OMD, wish someone give me this advice when i was 19.

Hi, I am a pre-Dental major but like to look at the optometry forum. Everytime that I browse the forum I see you (OD or NOT) bashing optometry, and thats ok as long as you are trying to make a difference in a person's life. You need to go about it in a different fashion that you are, because you just piss the people off that know that optometry is the perfect fit for them that are already in optometry school. You are an optometrist.......right? Why don't you answer the specific questions that people ask you about your career? Also, if it is about money then you just don't work hard enough because any health proffession can do outstanding if they are passionate about it. By the way, Med school isn't the all powerful school, and it isn't above anything. By the way my father is a graduate of medical school and he hated it, and is working for a pharm. company. He wishes he would have stayed in pharm school, but he wanted "prestige". Anyway even if you do have tons of debt, suck it up and go to med school where I am sure you will be dishappy. For all of you who know what you are here on earth for, go for it and don't let anyone change your mind. Just my two cents.----HA

OD or not,

like austin1 said, can you answer my question from the original post since you mention "why didnt someone tell you about optometry when you were 19".

here is my original question:

"can you tell me why optometry is bad? Why did you enter this profession? Where did you graduate and what kind of practice mode are you in right now? And last, what is the problem you are facing right now?(I believe you do because if you are happy you wouldnt come here complain about the profession)"

valine1212

"can you tell me why optometry is bad?"
answer: it's all the above things I mentioned.

"Why did you enter this profession?"
like i said, i realize it's a mistake now. I entered initially had the similar idea like all those pre-optometry student. it's helping people see better, control of working enviroment, family life is possible, flexible working schedule.....

"Where did you graduate and what kind of practice mode are you in right now?"
I am working in commercial optometry. this's the only thing available at the time. I graduated from one of the private schools a few yrs ago.

"And last, what is the problem you are facing right now?"
I am not happy with the options i have. Well, I have no options actually.

as for that predental dude, please keep your 2 cents b/c you will need it when MD daddy won't pay for that fancy dental degree of yours. thank you.

OD or not,respectfully, my only question is, if u keep discouraging people from attending optometry school, then who do you expect to take care of the eyes?

ODorNot... Life is way too short to spend it doing something you're unhappy with. There is *always* another option! Sometimes it's not the easiest option, and it may be one that requires sacrifice and time -- but there is always a way out. Do you know what type of career would make you happy? If not, that's the first thing you should be thinking about. Start "interviewing" people with the jobs you find interesting to see if they suit you. If you do know of a career that suits you, make a plan to move toward that goal. You're in debt now, you've said, but what's a little more debt if you're this unhappy? You can make good money as a part-time/weekend fill-in, so why not do that and try going back to school? Map out a plan to move toward your goal -- literally. Plot out what you need to do on a spreadsheet, stick it to your refrigerator, your bathroom mirror, wherever. You've made some bad decisions in getting to where you are now, but you can change that. Make every step you take now about moving toward a positive goal instead of focusing on the unhappiness you have in the present.

Originally posted by OD or Not
valine1212

as for that predental dude, please keep your 2 cents b/c you will need it when MD daddy won't pay for that fancy dental degree of yours. thank you.

As I have said before.. the personal attacks against other users need to STOP!!! Other users are welcome to post in the OD forum and he had some great points... you've been warned once before.. please don't make me do it again..