Ob/Gyn or Psychiatry first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MED_04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm debating whether to do Ob/Gyn or Psychiatry first. Also which one would help me more for Step1 ?

my school lets us take the steps after a couple of rotations, and we start in january.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't done wither but from talking to colleagues Psych is an easier rotation so you'd probably have more free time for studying. Don't know which would help you more for step 1

pysch would be best to have done if any rotation prior to step 1, because a lot of the social and behavioral science portion of years 1 and 2 makes up psych. should help you nab a few extra points on step 1 in that aspect...as well as all the psychiatric drugs and their side effects and what not. like the above poster said, psych will allow for more time for studying as well (much better hours and less call).

i don't remember any ob/gyn-related stuff being on step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
MED_04 said:
so i'm debating whether to do Ob/Gyn or Psychiatry first. Also which one would help me more for Step1 ?

my school lets us take the steps after a couple of rotations, and we start in january.

Do psych before Step 1. But, I bet your grade will suffer in psych because a lot of the knowledge you build for Step 1 you can really put to use in the rotation. Either way, the behavioral science isn't too difficult in terms of application (it's probably the easiest to rote memorize and be fine).

Another way to look at it is that OB/GYN is one of the "heavier" rotations (along with InternalMed, Surgery). I think if you get one hard one out of the way early, it makes things easier for you later in the game and you'll appreciate how cushy psych is. From a stepI standpoint, I agree with the above posters, although you shoudl be able to do well with what you learned prior to rotations.