OB/GYN Resident with COVID on ECMO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvnandhobbs68

I KNOW NOTHING
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Just figured I'd post this since I saw it today and really realized I hadn't seen much publicity about residents getting seriously ill from COVID. 2nd year OB/GYN resident was working in the ED seeing COVID patients and has been hospitalized for over a month now and now on ECMO. I don't know much of what I want people to take away from it except I think it points to the risk that still exists for residents who have very little bargaining power in this situation. Also a reminder that mortality is not the only relevant outcome here...which I think a lot of people still forget.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
How F’d up is it that her family needs to set up a go fund me page to keep from going bankrupt? When she got the virus from working in the ED as a resident... The whole system is broken as hell

• Angry
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
How F’d up is it that her family needs to set up a go fund me page to keep from going bankrupt? When she got the virus from working in the ED as a resident... The whole system is broken as hell

Part of it is to pay for family to travel from NY to TX. That's not something that insurance would typically cover.

Reactions: 1 users
Any update on her condition?

Reactions: 1 user
We had a well publicized early COVID case in my area that was similar- guy in his 30s, ended up on ECMO, ultimately survived. Hopefully she makes it, what a nightmare

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
God I hope she survives this and that the family gets some good news soon. I can't help but wonder what permanent deficits she may have as a result of this. So young too.

Per twitter, unfortunately this resident has died :(

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
  • Sad
Damn I just went back to check in on this. Was really hoping this thread wouldn't end this way. Terrible, just heartbreaking, 28 years old.

• Sad
This is so tragic. Please everyone out there be careful and don’t let your guard down.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hearing her sister speak is so painful. I hope that at some point we will be in a place to mourn the brothers and sisters that we have lost to this. I hope that the fallout from this collective trauma won't result in more loss.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users