SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ob/gyn vs gen surg and the img

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by neilc, Apr 4, 2002.

1. congrats to all you img's who matched...and you us grads also..

but, for the imgs, if any of you in ob/gyn and gen surg would give me examples of what type of step 1 scores worked for you, how many programs you applied to, whether you got an offer outside the match, and where you matched, i would appreciate it.

i waver between these two specialties quite a bit, but i think i lean toward gen surg. a number crunch would help me to see what it takes for both!

thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle 7+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Neil-----I PM'd you

4. penelope

penelope Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2001
    CA
    Hey neilc, would you briefly describe what appeals to you about gen surg and OB/GYN? I'm also interested in these two fields and am not too sure of the most significant differences between them.

5. the operating room is what appeals to me the most. i don't have much exposure to either field. but i think the ob/gyn is a nice combination of primary care and surgery. i am torn because i know i love the operating room, and that is really what i want to do. but, i think in the long run i may get less bored if i also have a primary care practice. i have a dream of working with a group of ob/gyns who want to do most of the office work and let me operate on thier patients. i think maleness is less a handicap in ob/gyn if i could stick more to the OR. who knows! as i learn more about the scopes of practice, i will be better informed and better able to give you pros and cons.

also, did you see the movie dr t and his women? i know i am no richard gere, but i think a practice like that may drive me crazy!

what are your thoughts on the feilds?

6. tussy

tussy Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 12, 1999
    Canada
    If it's the OR that you like most and not the primary care, why don't you think more about general surgery. As a general surgeon you'll spend much more time in the OR and will be capable of doing much bigger, more complicated cases. I made the choice to do gen surg and i absolutely love it. I already feel comfortable doing some simple gen surg procedures on my own (lumps and bumps, hernias, appys, lap choles). I'm only 9 months into my residency and i've learned so much. Generaly surgery is a great specialty (and we're not all pricks as some would have you believe).

7. i am leaning for gen surg. but, something about ob/gyn keeps nagging at me, so i am keeping it alive as an option. realistically, every day i get farther away from primary care and more excited about the OR and technical challenges...

time will tell!
    neil

8. bold and beautiful

bold and beautiful Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2002
    usa
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neil-----I PM'd you </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">stormweaver can you tell me what PM'd means.
    And soeey for my ignorance I have also read 'LOL'
    a lot of places. Can any body also tell me its full form

9. bold and beautiful

bold and beautiful Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2002
    usa
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neil-----I PM'd you </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">stormweaver can you tell me what PM'd means.
    And soeey for my ignorance I have also read 'LOL'
    a lot of places. Can any body also tell me its full form. what does bump mean? :p

10. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle 7+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    PM=Private Message
    LOL=Laughs Out Loud
    (Bump) refers to moving a thread to the top of the page for extra attention by posting a small bumping post.

11. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Jersey
    I am only a lowly 1st year med student to be but I recently met a guy who went into Og/Gyn because he specifically wanted to do a fellowship in pelvic and fertility surgery. He mentioned something about 4 different surgical Ob/gyn speicalties that you can do fellowships in, I don't remember what they were though. So maybe someone more informed can follow me up on this one.

12. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Canada
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tussy:
    <strong>If it's the OR that you like most and not the primary care, why don't you think more about general surgery. As a general surgeon you'll spend much more time in the OR and will be capable of doing much bigger, more complicated cases. I made the choice to do gen surg and i absolutely love it. I already feel comfortable doing some simple gen surg procedures on my own (lumps and bumps, hernias, appys, lap choles). I'm only 9 months into my residency and i've learned so much. Generaly surgery is a great specialty (and we're not all pricks as some would have you believe).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Tussy! I remember reading a post from you before so I remember you're doing you're residency in Halifax. I'm just wondering, as a surgery resident in Halifax how many hours do you think you work a week, if you added them all up and averaged them? Can you give me a guesstimate? Thanks Tussy

13. dankatzzz

dankatzzz Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    megkudos, the four subspecialties of OB/GYN are maternal fetal medicine (MFM), reproductive endocrinology and infertility (REI), urogynecology, and gynecological oncology. The last one is a heavy duty surgical subspecialty. MFM deals with high risk pregnancies. REI is basically Infertility treatments, and urogynecology is similar to urology. You can learn more about this through the <a href="http://www.acog.com" target="_blank">www.acog.com</a> website.
    Dani