Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OB switching to FM

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by deucerp, Dec 9, 2008.

1. deucerp

deucerp Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm going to be switching to an FM program that doesn't have an OB fellowship. I was wondering if anyone knew if I might still be able to apply for the CAQ with all the stats I've racked up this year as an OB intern and possibly taking some electives in my FM program? Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cali-ob

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what is the "CAQ"?

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The only fellowships that are accredited by the RRC/ACGME and lead to a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) by the ABFM are in geriatrics, sports medicine, and adolescent medicine.

Completion of an OB fellowship in FM just gives you additional training and experience, and may assist you in credentialing.

5. secretwave101

secretwave101 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    About a year and a half ago, there was talk of an OB-FP board certification in the works, with a standardized test administered jointly by ACOG and AAFP.

I'd do a little research on that front to see if those discussions have cooled or if that process is still moving forward. And keep good records of your deliveries and CS's so that you can jump on the opportunity if it occurs.

6. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed. You don't need a fellowship to do OB in FM. You've kind of pretty much already done your fellowship, you know?! ;)

All you need is numbers and hospital privileges, and that varies by region and hospital. Once you find out where you want to work, ask around at the hospitals in the area for their requirements. I imagine you'll have more than enough deliveries for privileges.

In many ways, you are in a great position. Sometimes I wish I had done the same, though the switching is a pain.

Best of luck to you!

7. deucerp

deucerp Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, i'm pretty excited to have the flexibility in the future to do kind of what I want to. I'm actually somewhat interested now in possbily finding an academic spot and maybe become the OB attending for a Family program. Who knows? Nice to have options