Obama: Health Law ‘Working the Way It’s Supposed to’ (Video)

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tough call, its very hard to predict where things will stand when you complete your training. Even without the ACA, reimbursements for certain procedures/specialties are subject to change (eg. get cut), cards/GI/rads/rad-onc all have taken big CMS cuts recently, other specialties have taken similar hits in the past, who knows who is next...one could argue that you should avoid fields/specialties where you can be replaced by a mid-level (PA/NP/CRNA) but its impossible to predict to what extent this will actually happen. On the other hand, if you are skilled/hardworking/lucky etc, you could possibly find yourself in one of these fields in a setting where you do not accept insurance, but again this is impossible to count on. There are many factors at play here and it's impossible to know what changes will occur and how quickly they will occur but the overall trend (as it has been the past 20-30 years or so) is that payors (medicare/private insurance companies/hospitals etc) will continue to try and pay you as little as they can for your services. In terms of making a decision, I would start by ruling out fields that you simply could not see yourself doing (eg. if you hate the OR rule out surgery/subspecialties). Amount/type of patient contact and length of training are some other factors to consider. Sorry I could not be more helpful. Best of luck with making your decision.

I'm glad this thread is here. Ok, can somebody...lol...explain simply why supporters say this will work? and then explain why opponents will say the speech was bullcrap?

You don't really need to provide a snarky answer or push your own agenda. I just want to at least point myself in the direction of rational and realistic discussion/argument.
I only ask it this way because I can't find any reliable commentary...really, anywhere. At least commentary that is not already pushing one political stance or another.