Obama vs. Romney: Outlook for OTs/Future OTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vobs56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum. I am in my final year of my undergraduate studies in Kinesiology and will be going to OT school next summer. Just out of curiosity (and hoping not to turn this into a political debate--if it does, hopefully it is to add clarity or eliminate any misconceptions), what are some of the main topics leading up to the debates/election between Obama and Romney, in relation to the healthcare/allied health/rehab sciences, that you are most concerned about (or what should I be looking for as a future OT in the debates)? Are there any particular agendas for either party that you are for or against? I am trying to make myself as informed as possible regarding my future as an OT and was wondering if anyone could share any of their opinions about how certain agendas for either side could effect our occupation as OTs in the near to distant future, or even how certain policies, laws, etc. have changed your past or current job as an OT. I would love to hear them! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that the Affordable Care Act (known as "Obamacare") is generally supportive of OT services and allows more people to be eligible for OT services, thus increasing our job market (check the AOTA link above for details), and Romney has vocalized numerous times that he would like to repeal the act in its entirety. Medicare/Medicaid reform is a related issue that would definitely impact the outlook of OT (Romney's Medicare cuts = less reimbursement for OT services = less jobs) so keep an ear out for those topics in the debates. In my opinion Obama's stance on upholding healthcare reform favors OT job opportunities and stability. There are many sides to the healthcare issues (and I don't think any educated individual is likely to side one way or the other in entirety), but reading up on AOTA's articles as well as other reputable news sources about each candidate's position is your best bet so you can make an educated decision about what issues are most important to you as a future OT. A lot of people don't like the idea of putting their tax dollars towards a universal healthcare system when they carry private insurance through their employer, which is something you'll have to weigh out thinking of your future self (read: do you want some of your tax dollars going towards universal healthcare when you already pay for private insurance in order to keep many of your otherwise uninsured clients in your services?). Please get educated and VOTE for the best outcome for our country!