Obc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you postpone OBC until after dental or medical school? I heard you can but wanted some feeback from this forum. The dentist I talked to recommended I do that. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

dentalguy said:
Can you postpone OBC until after dental or medical school? I heard you can but wanted some feeback from this forum. The dentist I talked to recommended I do that. Thoughts?

Yes and No. You can postpone it if your school is still in session at the start of OBC or you have a preset arrangment (something big, like you or a sibling's wedding) that you can't miss. You can always skip the 3rd year or 4th year by just using the "busy with rotations" excuse.

texdrake said:
Yes and No. You can postpone it if your school is still in session at the start of OBC or you have a preset arrangment (something big, like you or a sibling's wedding) that you can't miss. You can always skip the 3rd year or 4th year by just using the "busy with rotations" excuse.

Both myself and coincidentally, two of my friends from OBC had a sibling's wedding during OBC. You just fly out for the weekend and return to San Antonio. I preferred that to the alternate choice of doing OBC after graduation.

Geo

Members don't see this ad :)
dentalguy said:

well...I believe if you postpone OBC until after med school you will have to attend the all corps version which is 12 weeks instead of the HPSP/USUHS version which is considerably shorter. Also consider that AMEDD OBC will be revised pretty soon to include 4 weeks in the field instead of 1 week. I don't know when they are planning on implementing that change. However, I'd rather do the shorter version overall and spend last time in the field. That's just my preference :laugh: :thumbup:

GMO2003 said:
well...I believe if you postpone OBC until after med school you will have to attend the all corps version which is 12 weeks instead of the HPSP/USUHS version which is considerably shorter. Also consider that AMEDD OBC will be revised pretty soon to include 4 weeks in the field instead of 1 week. I don't know when they are planning on implementing that change. However, I'd rather do the shorter version overall and spend last time in the field. That's just my preference :laugh: :thumbup:

AMEDD? is that the normal version. 4 weeks is not being added to the abbreviated one is it?

dentalguy said:
AMEDD? is that the normal version. 4 weeks is not being added to the abbreviated one is it?

During the ARR (After Action Review) at the end of my OBC FTX, the AMEDDCS cadre told us that ALL HPSP/USUHS, MSC, ect OBC courses will implement greater time in the filed and more tactically oriented training. The told us that the normal FTX would be stretched to atleast 4 weeks in the near future.

so the OBC will be extended to an extra 4 weeks? or is it just more field time?

dentalguy said:
so the OBC will be extended to an extra 4 weeks? or is it just more field time?

I do not know the exact details. You probably could find out by going to the AMEDDCS website and emailing MAJ Cardenas. He is the dean, I believe.

GMO2003 said:

according to the people I have talked to, if you do a military residency you are almost always given "credit" for OBC and are not required to attend, you instead would do a short refresher course possilby (2-3 weeks)

texdrake said:
according to the people I have talked to, if you do a military residency you are almost always given "credit" for OBC and are not required to attend, you instead would do a short refresher course possilby (2-3 weeks)

that sounds good to me...I wish I could've taken the refresher course

GMO2003 said:
that sounds good to me...I wish I could've taken the refresher course

To further clarify...I don't believe that this is the case in the Navy due to GMO tours.