Quantcast

obgyn residency hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSV MD 2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why are the obgyn reisdency hours so high? i was looking on freida and they were like 75-90 hours. some programs were 40 and 50. why the large variation? adn then why are the obgyn reisdency hours so high when several other residency can say 45-60 horus per week on average?
and then i thought that the cap now is 80 hours per week. so where did that 90 come from?

D

Diane L. Evans

One needs to understand that ANY residency program WILL work 80 hrs/wk. This 80 hours DOES NOT include meetings, rounds, and didatic lectures thus the workload per week could be as high as 95 hours and still meet the 80 hr/wk requirements.

Residents are required an 8 hr break between shifts and NO MORE than 24 hours on overnight call (this does not include morning report/ rounding/ checkout time). In our program one starts the clock at 7am ( minus 6am rounds) and leaves no later than 12pm the following day (one is not allowed to do sx that morning unless the case was pre-op the day before).

Keep in mind, clinic hours are counted as didiatic time by some institutions.

Diane

birdie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diane L. Evans
One needs to understand that ANY residency program WILL work 80 hrs/wk.
Are you serious? Cuz I have friends in optho residency and I could swear they've said they only work around 50 hrs/week.