observership

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by Pisiform, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Pisiform

Pisiform Oh Crap!!! 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So for summer b/w M1 and M2, I got an observership in a large university hospital - ED. (Its not paid so don't get all excited). Anyways, their coordinator sent me the schedule and I see I have been placed with 2 physicians 3-4 times a week .. it will last a month.
    Hours on the schedule are pretty crazy like 6:30am to 4:30pm or 9am to 9pm. I guess they just put the entire shift that physician will be working.
    My question is would I have to be there for their entire shift? I was under the impression that 2-3 hrs with them would suffice same as in shadowing? is it different?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Brain Bucket

Brain Bucket Oh man, I forgot to bring the marshmallows. 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why are you doing an observership in Med school?

Ask enough questions, and they'll send you home early.

DermViser likes this.
  4. Pisiform

Medical Student
    Isn't it the same thing as shadowing. I thought instead of sitting on my butt for 2 months, i would at least do something. Couldn't find research etc. so i thought why not?

5. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Big Schwartz 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Are you trying to see if you'll like EM? Some shifts a lot can happen in 2-3 hours, in other shifts nothing could happen and then as soon as you leave all hell breaks loose. It may be worth it to stick out all the shifts in a given week to see what kind of endurance it takes, but remember that 12 hours of watching is not the same as 12 hours of doing.

pathologyDO likes this.
  6. Pisiform

Medical Student
    yes I am interested in EM but have never shadowed an EM physician so I thought I would try it out. Most of the people told me its a waste of time, won't help you in residency application blah blah and I should relax instead. Would there be any advantage of doing this when applying for residency later on apart from deciding if I like EM or not?

7. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Big Schwartz 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Does your school allow you to do EM during 3rd year? If not doing a little shadowing can let you know if it is interesting enough that you should slot one of your early 4th year electives in EM. Just try to be as active as you can and actually thinking about the medicine and asking questions like Brain Bucket said.

8. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why are you doing a formal observership? It's totally unnecessary in medical school.

9. Pisiform

Medical Student
    What does it mean 'formal observer ship'? I asked them if I could shadow and they put me in this

10. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The point of shadowing is that you see what it is like. This isn't an audition rotation in MS-4 where you're doing entire shifts.

11. Siggy

Siggy 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    100 times this. You never know when the interesting case is going to come in. You never know when the case that makes EM interesting and fun (in contrast to the 12th N/V or the 20th pelvic pain patient) comes in. The cases that makes the other 90%+ primary care/urgent care cases worth the toll.

About the ads