Observeship in the US as an American international Student ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TedMed14

Reaction score
I'm an American student currently finishing medical school in Panama City, Panama. I'm looking to apply for a residency program but have been told that observeships are great for your resume because of the recommendation letters and the additional experience you get from them . Is there any recommendation as to where or how apply for one ? I really don't know a thing about this :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not super familiar with how it works but I would think that a great way to start is by checking the medical education websites of all the programs you are interested in applying to for residency and seeing if they accept students for observerships. You can also contact the medical education coordinators directly via phone or email. You may get a lot of rejections on the way, but the key is to reach out to many as possible. Eventually you're bound to find one that does accept observership students. Just be mindful that it may be a bit more challenging right now in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, be patient and keep trying until you get something!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not super familiar with how it works but I would think that a great way to start is by checking the medical education websites of all the programs you are interested in applying to for residency and seeing if they accept students for observerships. You can also contact the medical education coordinators directly via phone or email. You may get a lot of rejections on the way, but the key is to reach out to many as possible. Eventually you're bound to find one that does accept observership students. Just be mindful that it may be a bit more challenging right now in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, be patient and keep trying until you get something!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors
Thanks for the encouragement! This stuff is pretty intimidating to be honest

Members don't see this ad :)
It absolutely is intimidating. There is nothing easy about applying to residency as an IMG. Many people in similar positions have done it before in the past and so can you!! You just need to do everything in your power to put yourself out there and unlock the opportunities that are out there waiting for you. Trust in yourself and your abilities. You've worked very hard to get to this point and there is no reason that you can't continue to be great. I believe in you!
- Annette

Has anyone managed to arrange an observership for next year? would appreciate any advice

I'm an American student currently finishing medical school in Panama City, Panama. I'm looking to apply for a residency program but have been told that observeships are great for your resume because of the recommendation letters and the additional experience you get from them . Is there any recommendation as to where or how apply for one ? I really don't know a thing about this :(
Hi! Yes, it is highly recommended to get observership, it will look great on your application and some mentors are happy to give you a LOR.

Education