Observing your father/dentist is a no go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STACM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked Ohio States web site and it says:

"The required observation hours cannot be with family members."

Is this common for most schools or just Ohio state? I was under the impression it was only a prob to get a LOR from a family member dentist...but I didn't know you couldnt shadow them at all either. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know Ohio State is the only one that specificlly says that the observation hours cannot be with family members, however you can still observe them, they dont not want you to do that, they just want you to observe general dentists other than your family members to fullfill their 20 hour requirement.

I just checked Ohio States web site and it says:

"The required observation hours cannot be with family members."

Is this common for most schools or just Ohio state? I was under the impression it was only a prob to get a LOR from a family member dentist...but I didn't know you couldnt shadow them at all either. Anyone know?

For your sake, I hope that is not a common rule. I think it would be stupid to expect someone to actively seek outside the family observation when their own father is a dentist. Now, using your father's friends to observe specialties or different practices is one thing, but there's no reason why using your father as your primary source of exposure should be considered a bad thing! Sorry that I don't have any relevant information, just an opinion. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you think its ok for me to get a LOR from my periodontist who I was a patient of? Or does the LOR have to come from a dentist youve observed/volunteered for?...cause i dont think i can use my dad to write one

I'm in the same boat, applying to OSU and my dad is a dentist. I am shadowing some of his friends who are GPs for my "official" observation hours. I still assist and observe him sometimes, I just don't count that toward my total hours.

I'm fairly certain Ohio State is unique with this rule.

I wouldn't use your dad for a LOR, but it doesn't have to be from someone you observed. I mean as long as the person knows you pretty well.

Everyone's advice about using your dad's friends is GREAT. My question is: You observe your father and not volunteer/work for him? Make sure you take a better look at the portion of your application. If there is a dentist with whom you have personal contact for a long time and you merely observe him and not work/volunteer for him, that cannot look good.