• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Obstructive Diseases and Inspiratory Obstruction?

MedStudent219

2+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2018
Hi everyone! I just had a query regarding obstructive lung diseases that I was confused about. Seems like I've forgotten since preclin why it works. Obstructive lung diseases basically have an obstruction in the airways (e.g. mucus plugging or airway collapse etc.). This results in an expiratory outflow obstruction where they expire significantly less air. However, no textbook mentions whether obstruction affects the lung when you're inspiring and whether it would be to the same extent as the expiratory one? I haven't found any sources discussing it but if anyone would be able to help me, I'd really appreciate it :) Thanks everyone!

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Will depend on the actual cause of obstruction. There often will be an affect on inspiration, but the extent will vary. Something like a fixed obstruction will have a great effect on both inspiration and expiration, whereas other conditions will have a greater affect on one or the other.

1589488186118.png

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.