Obtaining a primary care residency outside the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pvd Oaky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After matching initially into a 5 year residency program and having a change of heart upon completing 3 years of training, I decided to apply to grad school for an MPH. Just 1 week ago, I discovered that this graduate school's university hospital has a preventive medicine residency of 2 years duration, in which it's residents obtain an MPH degree during the first year. After learning about this program, I am extremely interested and really would love to join the program starting this summer.

Two program requirements are completing a year of residency and being admitted to the institution's graduate program for a master of public health, both of which I fulfill. Being that the program's duration is 2 years, I can come to the program with funding from Medicare's direct graduate medical education fund, as indicated in the AAMC publication referenced below.

My strengths include strong letters of recommendations from what I've been told by multiple program directors; 3 years of residency training that I can bring to the table; research--with nearly 18 manuscript and abstract publications as well as one competitive grant to fund basic science research for $20,000.00; and a great personality that comes across during interviews and patient encounters.

What are the chances that the program would add another position for me, provided that I meet it's admission requirements and come with DGME funding? Naturally, I will contact the program director this week, but in the interim, I'd love to obtain advice and opinions on the matter.

Thank you!
Medicare Payments for Graduate Medical Education: What Every Medical Student, Resident and Advisor Needs to Know.

* https://members.aamc.org/eweb/Dynam..._prd_key=B19BD4F9-AC4B-4204-9A8B-AD2928383488

Members don't see this ad.

Programs can't just add positions -- there are all sorts of regulatory hurdles. ACGME approval is needed to ensure educational quality. Hospital approval is needed for financials. The institution might be at their GME cap, which would mean that you would have no funding regardless of your background. Just too many variables to answer.

You can always ask. If they can't add a spot, seems like you'd be better off working for a year (research +/- moonlighting) and apply for a spot next year.