Obtaining Residency

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Worry Boy, Feb 27, 2000.

1. Worry Boy

Worry Boy New Member

How difficult is it to obtain an Allopathic Emergency residency after grad. from Osteopathic school and more specifically Touro College of Ostepathic Med.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician

It all depends on the year when you are applying. I just went through the interview process for ACGME Emergency Med residency programs. This year happened to be the most of competitive year for emergency medicine but who knows what will happen when you are applying. In general if you want to apply to West Coast programs i.e. univ of calif programs, you should take the USMLE. The programs that I interviewed with were very interested in my research experience and my work with the EMS. These extra curricular activities will help you a bit on your application. It is also not a bad idea to become president of one of the major organizations in your school, i.e. SOMA, AMSA, AMA, etc. Couple of the programs that I interviewed with made a comment that they liked the fact that I was the president of AMSA at my school. But before all these they are interested in your board score, class rank, and<b> LETTERS OF REC</b>. Also make sure you write a good personal statement. ALL the programs that interviewed with had read my personal statement. Also make sure that if you do your core EM at an osteopathic hospital that you give them the SLOR form to use as your letter of rec. Most ACGME EM programs want to see <b>SLOR</b> as your letter of rec from your emergency medicine rotations. If the hospital you are at does not have the SLOR you can download it from http://www.cordem.org/slor.htm and have your preceptor fill it out as your letter of rec. Hopefully, if I have some free time over the summer I, in conjunction with a EM residency director, will make a web page for students trying to get into EM programs and will put all these info on the page. Also, make sure your school writes a good dean letter for you with comments from your preceptors clinical rotations in it. Ask your school if they do this and if they don?t, talk to your class president about changing this.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Rez B.