Army Obtaining State Dental License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladiatorSwens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready for graduation from dental school next month and BOLC this June. We were told to apply for a state license before BOLC. Any recommendations for which state to apply to? (I took the WREB)

Also do we need to have a DEA number before we get to our first duty station? I read somewhere that DoD dentists were able to get a DEA number without having to pay the $700 fee. Any information on that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you are going to be stationed. It may be beneficial for you to take the board the state accepts where you are going.

You will get a DEA number issued, but it is only good in the military, and not in the civilian world.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting ready for graduation from dental school next month and BOLC this June. We were told to apply for a state license before BOLC. Any recommendations for which state to apply to? (I took the WREB)

Also do we need to have a DEA number before we get to our first duty station? I read somewhere that DoD dentists were able to get a DEA number without having to pay the $700 fee. Any information on that would be great.

My state won't issue a state license until I actually graduate from dental school, and won't be in time for BOLC. I bought a WREB certificate for BOLC instead.

I just learned that the Army will not accept "restricted" state licenses. For example, Texas offers a license to active duty military which restricts practice to federal property only (i.e. military bases). They do not charge a fee for this license, however you cannot use it in the military.

MAJ Danko, any idea why these licenses even exist if military cannot use them?

Also, do we need to obtain an NPI number before going to BOLC after dental school graduation?

I just learned that the Army will not accept "restricted" state licenses. For example, Texas offers a license to active duty military which restricts practice to federal property only (i.e. military bases). They do not charge a fee for this license, however you cannot use it in the military.

You got me on this one. I have no idea. My understanding was that Texas offered a license but did not charge those in the military for it. I wasn't under the impression it was a restricted license.

Schools finish in May, BOLC starts mid June. Did you graduate late?

My school finish at the very end of May. My state won't even give me an application for the license number until that happens. 1.5wks is not enough time for them to issue my license in time for BOLC.

There are two ways to get licensed: credential and examination. In general, license by examination can only occur during the first 5 years after taking a regional board exam. Eventually your military career will come to an end and perhaps you'll want to continue practicing dentistry. However, you don't want to pay for a license you don't really use. So let's say you think you may want to set up shop in Texas. Getting a fee-waived military license is one way you can ensure you don't have to get a license by credential later on (and not pay an annual fee for something you don't use). License by credential is generally expensive and time consuming. Also, consider that licensing by credential means you need to have been practicing a certain number of hours on average for the past several years. If you end up in a command position this would be impossible to do, and therefore impossible to get licensed by credential later on.

Within 5 years of having graduated from dental school, you should seek to know where you plan to end up after military life so you can seek and maintain that state's dental license. If you want to play to the largest audience, the best exam to take would be NERB (accepted in 44+ states).

Last year there was a communication from DENCOM stating why everyone has to have an unrestricted license. If memory serves it essentially has to do with fairness and treating our profession and licensure like MEDCOM physicians are required to treat theirs.

As military members we are expected to not take an incentive or discount due to our status that isn't available to all. Since not all dental licenses are free, maybe that plays into it.

About 3 months late... BTW I applied for my Maine license three days before ODS (mailed Wednesday) and it was approved that Friday... So I had my license before I reported.

While you don't need a DEA#, you can get a Fed one at no charge I believe. If you plan on getting out of the service, I would get a license in the state you are planning on practicing after you get out. That saves some headaches. I thought the NPI was mandatory for all practitioners. It's free to register, and if you get out or moonlight ,you will need it.