Obtaining surgical residency as an osteopathic graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VTB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am a pre medical student with an interest in osteopathic medical school and later, maybe, pursuing surgery.
I know that D.O.s and med students now have the option of becoming fellows of the ACS and ACOS.
I have a few questions that I hope can be clarified, thanks.

How difficult is it for a D.O. to obtain a general surgery residency in an allopathic program?

Are there intergrated programs for D.O.s that allow the combination of general and plastic/reconstructive surgery?

Is it possible to complete an osteopathic general surgery residency and afterwards complete an allopathic plastic fellowship/residency?

Thanks again, VTB.

Members don't see this ad.

oh, the link doesn't work..
thanks though

Members don't see this ad :)
How difficult is it for a D.O. to obtain a general surgery residency in an allopathic program?
Reasonably difficult, but possible.
Are there intergrated programs for D.O.s that allow the combination of general and plastic/reconstructive surgery?
No. There are around 4 osteo plastic & reconstructive fellowships, which are done after another surgery residency (most likely gen surg.). The AOA has just approved another fellowship for NYCOM at St. Barnabus in the Bronx.
Is it possible to complete an osteopathic general surgery residency and afterwards complete an allopathic plastic fellowship/residency?
No. And vice versa isn't possible either (ie doing an allopathic residency, then an osteo fellowship). If you want to do an osteopathic fellowship, you have to have done an osteopathic residency.

If you're set on plastics, it would be better to go MD as there are more programs to apply to. Even if you complete an allopathic residency, it is highly unlikely that the allopathic plastic fellowships will be interested in you as a DO. If you choose to go the DO route, your best bet would be to complete an osteopathic gen surg residency, then try to get into one of the osteopathic plastics fellowships. This is what I'm planning on doing. The fact that NYCOMEC (NYCOM's GME) will be opening a plastic and reconstructive fellowship soon is great for NYCOM students who want to go into plastics. :thumbup:

Thanks again, VTB.

Yes,

I can think of at least one case, Dr. Patricia Rooney D.O. , She completed her GS residency at osteopathic hospital of maine and later her PRS fellowsip at Cleveland clinic of florida.

P.S.: She is also AOA board certified BTW

Reasonably difficult, but possible.

No. And vice versa isn't possible either (ie doing an allopathic residency, then an osteo fellowship). If you want to do an osteopathic fellowship, you have to have done an osteopathic residency.

My surgeon I rotated with did an osteo residency in NYC and then did an allopathic fellowship in bariatrics. If this is so then why would it be any different for plastics? however, I do know that he was only one of 4 DOs that year that got an allopathic fellowship(any fellowship, that is). so thus it if extremely difficult.

My surgeon I rotated with did an osteo residency in NYC and then did an allopathic fellowship in bariatrics. If this is so then why would it be any different for plastics? however, I do know that he was only one of 4 DOs that year that got an allopathic fellowship(any fellowship, that is). so thus it if extremely difficult.

Its not. The above information stating that you cannot do an osteopathic general surgery residency and then an allopathic plastics residency is incorrect. It is difficult, but then its difficult for anyone, given the competitiveness of PRS residencies. The American Board of PRS does not require allopathic general surgery training, nor do individual PRS programs.