Obviously fake MDapplicant profiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prowler,

You are my hero. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

TheProwler said:
UW-PARKSIDE DOESN'T RING ANY BELLS??

I know none of you guys are from around here, but I guarantee that no one from Parkside has ever simultaneously gotten into JHU, Harvard, and Columbia, especially with relatively lackluster credentials. No research, publications, or anything very unique, and a 34R? No. No. And no.

You guys can be so gullible.

I love it. This guy would have made headlines, I'm not sure if it would have been because of his acceptances, or because of the choice he made. I doubt UW-Parkside sends more than 1 allopathic med student out of state per year. Then again, this guy ended up not fitting the criteria. Not that I'm dissing Parkside, just very amousing humor in the mdapp profile. :thumbup: :thumbup:

haahah :laugh: Yeah lol wow.... anyone that actually believed that profile needs a brain scan lol... This has nothing to do with DO vs. MD. It is just plain common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
visualwealth said:
haahah :laugh: Yeah lol wow.... anyone that actually believed that profile needs a brain scan lol... This has nothing to do with DO vs. MD. It is just plain common sense.

Agreed. It seems highly unlikely that even a DO student most strongly devoted to the osteopathic philosophy would not have jumped to Hopkins or at least waited to see on Harvard. You could always take the extra osteopathic courses and then be in a much better position to compete for the most competitive residencies.

liverotcod said:
My profile is a fake.

In fact, everything I say is a lie.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yes mine too and me too! :D

Maybe the person wasn't sure what he wanted when initially applying, and then decided that the whole D.O. thing was for him. I can't imagine he used Hopkins and UChicago as safeties. The profile may be fake, but I can't understand the lack of a life that one would have to have to just randomly make up an mdapplicants profile.

getunconcsious said:
The profile may be fake, but I can't understand the lack of a life that one would have to have to just randomly make up an mdapplicants profile.

Totally, this dude needs to spend more time posting on SDN. Get a life, you MDApplicant Profile-padding '****!. ;)

OSUdoc8: on the account of you saying that DOs are only "slightly disadvantaged" when DO-only residency positions are unavailable, is just incorrect. I know of several programs that just literally throw away DO residency applications that they receive, and I m not just referring to top schools/hospitals. Perhaps its only a slight disadvantage for certain less competetive residencies, however. Point is, if you had the opportunity to go to an MD over a DO...
Also, if you were sick or seriously injured sittin up in the hospital, dont tell me that you wouldnt do a double-take when you saw "John Doe, DO." takin care of you.

GayThread.jpg

AStudent said:

Most insightful input, yet.

SDNer4life, my wife has a herniated disk in her neck and has sought out the best orthopedic surgeon in our area. Recommendations from from several MD's all came back to one person who was SHOCKINGLY a DO. This doc turned out to be awesome. So quiet down, your fly is open, and your underwear is dirty.

sdner4life said:
OSUdoc8: on the account of you saying that DOs are only "slightly disadvantaged" when DO-only residency positions are unavailable, is just incorrect. I know of several programs that just literally throw away DO residency applications that they receive, and I m not just referring to top schools/hospitals. Perhaps its only a slight disadvantage for certain less competetive residencies, however. Point is, if you had the opportunity to go to an MD over a DO...
Also, if you were sick or seriously injured sittin up in the hospital, dont tell me that you wouldnt do a double-take when you saw "John Doe, DO." takin care of you.

1. DO's are VERY common in the ER setting. A large majority of hospitals in Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, New York, and other states have DO's at a 40%-60% ratio in ER's.

2. Patients don't pay attention to what the letters behind the name in the hospital are, especially in an emergency situation. I have medical student written in three places on me, and I have been called doctor every time. I would prefer having a DO as a physician anyway.

3. Also, there are residencies that don't prefer to accept DO's, but in the same specialties, there are residencies that do, so it doesn't really matter.

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

Reckoning said:
So quiet down, your fly is open, and your underwear is dirty.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
I trust a DO will listen to me more anyway instead of jumping to conclusions.
i don't get it. :confused:

superdevil said:
i don't get it. :confused:

Yeah, most people who haven't actually worked alongside an osteopathic physician or had one as their healthcare provider wouldn't get it either.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, most people who haven't actually worked alongside an osteopathic physician or had one as their healthcare provider wouldn't get it either.
thanks for the explanation. :rolleyes:

I would venture to say the profile is not real, IMO.

OSUdoc08 said:

i have worked with both DOs and MDs (sonetimes in the same dept at the same time) and if I didn't look at their degree on their ID badge I could never tell the difference. The way they actually practice medicine is dependent on their workplace and their ethics and has nothing to do with the philosopy under which they trained.

Psycho Doctor said:
i have worked with both DOs and MDs and if I didn't look at their degree on their ID badge I could never tell the difference. The way they actually practice medicine is dependent on their workplace and their ethics and has nothing to do with the philosopy under which they trained.

Yep. So it shouldn't really matter who it is treating you then. I simply stated my preference between the two.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yep. So it shouldn't really matter who it is treating you then. I simply stated my preference between the two.

Yes, I agree with everything you have posted in this thread thus far (esp. in terms of DOs being indistinguishable to patients in the ED situation.) But would you have chosen your route over Hopkins or Harvard?

Law2Doc said:
Yes, I agree with everything you have posted in this thread thus far (esp. in terms of DOs being indistinguishable to patients in the ED situation.) But would you have chosen your route over Hopkins or Harvard?

HELL NO. Are you kidding me?

They even have OMM weekend seminars at Harvard.

You'd have to be really naive to believe that the profile was real...

ironically enough I've seen things not that extreme, but close to them in real life.

I had a girl in my HS class who went to a 4th tier christian school, scored a 30+ on her MCAT, then withdrew all of her applications after getting into MSU's DO school because it was her first choice... Father was a DO and she "preferred the philosophy of treating the whole person"... it's rare, but it does happen.

The second profile is possibly true. I mean at some DO schools 2.75 and 21 is the minimum. A few years ago LECOM-B was allowing people in with as low as a 14 and 17 on the MCAT.

I agree. I heard directly from an adcom from U of MN that they once interviewed someone with a total MCAT of 7. Ultimately she didn't get in, but it seems that there are very rare occations that people with low MCAT could have a chance.
I also heard directly from an adcom from U of Chicago that there is somebody with a score of 23 who got in this year.

The second profile is possibly true. I mean at some DO schools 2.75 and 21 is the minimum. A few years ago LECOM-B was allowing people in with as low as a 14 and 17 on the MCAT.

It's true. My ex-gf got an 18 on the MCAT and got into DMU.

I didn't date her because she was smart, that's for sure!

lowest score was a 6 combined per AAMC stats for past 2 years

It's true. My ex-gf got an 18 on the MCAT and got into DMU.

I didn't date her because she was smart, that's for sure!

Well, as you guys over here at pre-allo always say, there are exceptions to the rule. DMU's stats are now up to a 3.65 and 27 MCAT for this years entering class. Clearly, she was an extreme circumstance. MD schools admit people with 24's and 25's which is way below their average scores. Well, it stands to reason that the same applies for osteopathic medical schools.

I sincerely believe people here at SDN live in a fantasy world of 35+ MCATs and 4.0's. Hence, that is why a vast majority of you have an elitist attitude. Afterall, lets be perfectly honest, when it comes to grades you are "elite." With that being said, I have done my first year of medical school and the material is not conceptionally hard. It is the copious amount of material that makes it difficult. So, if someone with a 3.82 and a 26 or 3.1 and a 30 went the osteopathic route WTF is the big deal? Are they not able to comprehend the steps that lead of fibrosis and scarring of the lungs? Can they not understand preload, afterload, and the Starling Curve? I bet they can and just as well as any MD student.

The majority of you are premeds and have never worked in a healthcare setting beyond the pathetic shadowing and tech work that I even admit to have done to make my app look better. If you look at the faculty of many osteopathic schools, a good amount of the physicians are MD's. At my school, we have professors from Temple, Jefferson, and <gasp> UPENN come and lecture. How dare they be seen on the campus of a DO school!!! I think a lot of you guys need to lose your elitist attitude and realize who you are. We are all trying to be doctors so we can work with patients to optimize their health. And, at the end of the day, when you walk out of the hospital, you are no better than anyone else....MD or DO.

To those applying; good luck

To those beginning medical school; good luck with your first year