Occupational Health Issues in Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a pre-dental student and love to spend my time researching about dentistry and the life of a dentist so I know I am making the right decision. Something that I am worried about is the health issues related to the dental field, such as neck/back problems, carpal tunnel/hand problems, and radiation (not sure if radiation is a real concern for dentists or not?).
The musculoskeletal complications scare me the most. I read that 87.2% of dentists indicated at least one symptom of musculoskeletal diseases.(Occupational hazards to dental staff) Does anyone have any insight? Should this be something that turns students away from dentistry?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

You will learn ergonomics in dental school. Yes, you may experience hand or neck pain. It is part of the profession. Generally the taller you are the worse it is. I do not not know any dentists who have quit because of the pain, and I even know a dentist who practices with only 9 fingers so I am sure you can manage. The only horror stories I have heard is a young dentist who had RA and became a teacher.

Reactions: 1 user