Occupational medicine fresh out of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandcrank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've read various threads about the work occupational medicine get into. I know it's diverse field with a lot of facets - my question is straight out of residency (prelim+2 year path), can you make a good living (i.e. on par with primary care). I ask because I'm interested in the field and the potential role I could play in the community, however, I'm pretty afraid it would be hard to make a living - (how much does a DOT physical even reimburse?)

All the various salary websites would leave you to believe you can, but also many people in occ med have FP or some other board meaning they're likely splitting their time. Any first hand reports from the occ med "purist"? Is going the direct route (prelim + 2) a gamble? Honestly it would burn my ass to finish med school, and do residency only to make PA money or even pharmacist money.

Members don't see this ad.

Family medicine with some urgent care moonlighting will give you most of the skills you need. The rest are certification to interpret urine test and do DOT testing. Occ Med residency is only good if you goal is wear a suit and determine policy for a company or an industry. I'm PMR and get lots of occ Med patients sent my way for spine care return to work stuff, but all the burns, cuts and bruises(urgent care stuff) they handle. Most I know are internal Med or family. Also NPs

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user