General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy Advice & Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelseaLene

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an undergrad in my first-year looking for advice on starting my journey to OT school!

Stats:
University - Ohio State
Major - Double major in Psychology & Spanish
Current GPA - 3.5 ish
Experience -
  • Volunteer at Hospital in the Children's Unit
  • Ronald McDonald House Volunteer
  • Project Sunshine (another volunteer club)
  • Autism Speaks (working with kids with Autism Spectrum Disorder)
  • Global Medical Brigades (volunteer, as well as a week-long medical service mission every year to Honduras, Panama, etc.)
I have about 100 volunteer hours right now in general volunteering, and I'm shadowing an OT over the summer. I have not taken any pre-requirements yet because originally I was a Biochemistry pre-med at the beginning of my freshman year. I am looking for advice on where I should be looking in terms of schools, as well as if my first-year GPA will look bad when I am applying? What should I raise my GPA to in order to become a more competitive applicant and do I have time to do it, as well as what would improve my application?
I am very new to this since I only switched a few months ago, but I would like to enter an OT program right after I graduate.

Thank you for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally, I prefer to stay in-state and will be hoping to continue with occupational therapy at OSU. For prerequisites there, I have:
General Bio: A
Intermediate/Technical Writing: A

I think your stats look great! Just keep up with your GPA and diversifying your volunteer experience, you are on good track! :) I only say diversify the volunteer experience, so you have more to write about during application time.

Also, does OSU have GRE requirement? If so, just make sure you have enough time to study. I know test taking is not my strong suit, so I blocked out alot of time to study. As long as I met the minimum requirement it was all good!

Good luck with your undergrad years and have fun! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
gotta make sure your letters or recommendations and personal essay are on POINT.

im an OT of 4+ years now, columbia and NYU accepted on first go.. i know the key was my essays and letters because my grades were trash and i had only 3 months of OT shadowing.

Although grades are important - depending on the school, they also strongly consider other factors:

• OT observations in different settings (I know it can be difficult getting these depending on where you live - but I got more bites when I mentioned I just needed a few hours/one time with their OTs vs a longer-term commitment)
  • A great personal statement (personal connections to OT, what made you choose OT, special experiences from times you shadowed an OT, etc)
  • Excellent letters of recommendation (I had 1 from an OT, 1 from a Professor, 1 from the manager of the volunteer dept of a hospital I shadowed at)

Also, if there are any Open Houses/Preview Days for any schools you are interested in, definitely go if you can. Sometimes you will meet faculty and current students who could give you great tips on strengthening your application.

I agree! Unless stated otherwise, schools will look at you as a whole. I didn’t have a ton of hours or that much diversity to be honest but I believe that my recommendations, statement, and grades did me a huge favor. I got into 2 schools and waitlisted in 1 on my first try.

Reactions: 1 user
Any perspectives on MGH IHP OTD vs Boston University OTD?

To find some varied OT shadow hours, people can also try reaching out to their state OT association. I had a hard time finding any place to take me, and they sent me a list of places that have been known to take on students. They also welcomed me to ask for more if those places turned me down (but the first list helped me find another good placement, and then two I found on my own through internet searches).

They also may offer scholarships, networking events, and other things for student members that can help you find volunteer/shadowing. I didn't join as a member just then, though, but it might be worth it for those building their applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an undergrad in my first-year looking for advice on starting my journey to OT school!

Stats:
University - Ohio State
Major - Double major in Psychology & Spanish
Current GPA - 3.5 ish
Experience -
  • Volunteer at Hospital in the Children's Unit
  • Ronald McDonald House Volunteer
  • Project Sunshine (another volunteer club)
  • Autism Speaks (working with kids with Autism Spectrum Disorder)
  • Global Medical Brigades (volunteer, as well as a week-long medical service mission every year to Honduras, Panama, etc.)
I have about 100 volunteer hours right now in general volunteering, and I'm shadowing an OT over the summer. I have not taken any pre-requirements yet because originally I was a Biochemistry pre-med at the beginning of my freshman year. I am looking for advice on where I should be looking in terms of schools, as well as if my first-year GPA will look bad when I am applying? What should I raise my GPA to in order to become a more competitive applicant and do I have time to do it, as well as what would improve my application?
I am very new to this since I only switched a few months ago, but I would like to enter an OT program right after I graduate.

Thank you for all the help!
We have similar stats! When applying to grad school, a lot of the schools loved my participation with Global Medical Brigades! I was accepted this year!

gotta make sure your letters or recommendations and personal essay are on POINT.

im an OT of 4+ years now, columbia and NYU accepted on first go.. i know the key was my essays and letters because my grades were trash and i had only 3 months of OT shadowing.

Can I ask what your GPA was for undergrad?