General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy Settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmiscassie92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently observing/volunteering at a hospital once a week. Over the last few months, I have shadowed an OT in the burn unit, peds department, NICU, trauma floor, and cardiac unit. A fellow classmate of mine told me about an inpatient rehabilitation hospital near my apartment to volunteer at, but I was wondering if that would setting wouldn't be considered different from where I am at now? I know most schools want you to volunteer in 2-3 different settings, so I'm just wondering how you would classify the different settings? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that since you have observed at so many different areas in the hospital, that kind of already counts as multiple settings. You can even separate each unit when filling out OTCAS. I would definitely try to observe/volunteer at an outpatient facility, but it would also be helpful to see the rehabilitation hospital as it may be run differently than the hospital you currently volunteer at. The more hours and the more places the better!
I hope that helps :)