Oceania University of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dodger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know you guys have discussed the Oceania University of Medicine before, but I've been doing a bit of research on it lately and thought the results might be interesting to this Forum.

I was seriously considering enrolling with the Oceania University of Medicine and then sitting the Australian Medical Council Exams to register in Australia.

OUM claim their course allows graduates to do exactly this, in fact it is one of the major selling points of their course.

I rang the Australian Medical Council (AMC), and they assure me in no uncertain terms that the OUM in NOT accredited with them and that OUM graduates are definately NOT permitted to sit the AMC exams!!!

OUM still make the claim on their Web site though.....

The first OUM graduates will be hoping to sit their AMC exams this September (2006) but as far as the AMC are concerned, they will simply not be allowed to sit for the exams....I'd hate to be one of those poor souls who have paid out $125,000 ozzie dollars or more with the expectation of sitting the AMC exams.

OUM are going to have some pretty curly questions to answer from some mightily pissed off graduates if all of the above is true.

Mind you, all this assumes there was no administrative stuff up at the AMC that supplied me with this information, but it was the AMC themselves, so they should know!!!

Mind you, from all reports, and from the credentials of the people running OUM, I really believe they are a legitimate school providing good medical education with the highest intentions. I wonder if this will get sorted out....

Members don't see this ad.

Dodger said:
Hi,

I know you guys have discussed the Oceania University of Medicine before, but I've been doing a bit of research on it lately and thought the results might be interesting to this Forum.

I was seriously considering enrolling with the Oceania University of Medicine and then sitting the Australian Medical Council Exams to register in Australia.

OUM claim their course allows graduates to do exactly this, in fact it is one of the major selling points of their course.

I rang the Australian Medical Council (AMC), and they assure me in no uncertain terms that the OUM in NOT accredited with them and that OUM graduates are definately NOT permitted to sit the AMC exams!!!

OUM still make the claim on their Web site though.....

The first OUM graduates will be hoping to sit their AMC exams this September (2006) but as far as the AMC are concerned, they will simply not be allowed to sit for the exams....I'd hate to be one of those poor souls who have paid out $125,000 ozzie dollars or more with the expectation of sitting the AMC exams.

OUM are going to have some pretty curly questions to answer from some mightily pissed off graduates if all of the above is true.

Mind you, all this assumes there was no administrative stuff up at the AMC that supplied me with this information, but it was the AMC themselves, so they should know!!!

Mind you, from all reports, and from the credentials of the people running OUM, I really believe they are a legitimate school providing good medical education with the highest intentions. I wonder if this will get sorted out....

i cant say that i know all that much about austrailian schools...etc. , but i am an american student who recently has begun to consider OUM. on their website they have a scanned copy of a letter from the ECFMG stating that as long as the school is included in the IMED (which OUM is) than the students are premitted to sit for the USMLE.

are there any other american students considering this program in order to obtain residencies in the us?
the program is quite appealing to me because of the flexibilty that they offer while providing what seems to be (i have spoken to three different current students) a comprable medical education.

Lee

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have read that ABC article.

Ther reason I was looking at OUM is simply because I wanted to learn about all the options.

Clearly, getting into an Australian Medical school is preferrable to OUM, and if I get in, that is the way I will definately be heading.

Trouble is that its been 9 years since I obtained my first degree, and it had zero Chemistry or Biology. GAMSAT places great emphasis on both these subjects, and in fact ACER themselves say that success is very unlikely unless you have a good 1st year Uni knowledge of these subjects (plus Yr 12 Physics)

I've got the Physics covered, as I did a Sub major in Physics in my B.Ap.Sc, so now I am despreately trying to remember the Yr 12 Chimstry I learned at school, (25 years ago!!!) and trying to learn whatever biology I can.

So you can see I am no certainty to get through the GAMSAT test, hence my interest in other alternatives, like OUM.

I will still definately try the traditional route though, OUM is a last resort, or possible not even an option....

The Dodger.

Dodger said:
I've got the Physics covered, as I did a Sub major in Physics in my B.Ap.Sc, so now I am despreately trying to remember the Yr 12 Chimstry I learned at school, (25 years ago!!!) and trying to learn whatever biology I can.

The Dodger.

Yes organic chem on GAMSAT is important. check your PM

OK. Interesting..... personally, I have serious issues with the validity of a degree from OUM, but notwithstanding that, students deserve to know exactly where they stand.

The AMC website at http://www.amc.org.au/

States the follwoing:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OCEANIA UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE – SAMOA.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The AMC will recognise graduates from the Oceania University of Medicine, Samoa to sit the AMC examination for the purposes of registration in Australia. Graduates of OUM will be required to have completed all components of the OUM course, including all specified clinical instruction and to have been awarded the OUM degree in medicine. OUM graduates who are eligible to sit the AMC examination will be subject to the same eligibility and progress requirements that apply to graduates of all other recognised medical courses..
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intending applicants should note that recognition of any medical course by the AMC for the purposes of sitting the AMC examination does not constitute accreditation or endorsement of that course by the AMC. Similarly, such recognition is not an indication that the AMC considers the particular course to be equivalent to fully accredited courses of Australian and New Zealand medical schools..

That is different to what you were told on the phone?

Cheers
Lyndal

Anyone from US who is considering OUM MUST look at it and then MUST contact state boards themselves either via email or phone and get first-hand information from the state boards themselves regarding online component in medical education and whether they will give license to someone whose MD program included online basic science curriculum. OUM for some reason is unable to provide information regarding states which would give license to OUM grads.

It is important to be aware that being able to take USMLE exams and then doing residency in the US does NOT mean you will get licensed to practice medicine in the states!! Everyone needs to understand this clearly before considering OUM. It appears to be a great curriculum and PBL sounds very good for self-motivated people. But IMO anyone who wants to practice medicine in US MUST contact all state boards themselves and confirm whether they will be able to practice medicine after residency if their MD is from OUM that has online basic science curriculum. Good luck and please post your responses from state boards so that it will be useful to others.

If you dont already know, state of California is VERY opposed to OUM or any other MD program with any online component so OUM grads will never be able to get licensed in CA. And if CA does not approve then there are other states that simply follow CA rules and so you wont be able to get licensed in those states either. These include OR, NM, GA,WA, TX etc

Make sure you ask the states specifically about online component and licensing rules of the state in regards to online component because many states may simply say that they will approve as long as its ECFMG certified BUT when you actually apply, they might object because there is online component in your MD degree. So everyone should contact individual states themselves and be VERY CLEAR on ALL the DETAILS and discuss EVERYTHING about the OUM curriculum in detail with the medical board.

For those who want to explore...the post is on the valueMD website and state licensing requirements.

Hi,

Helo. I am a person who is also interested in medicine. OUM is another option for working people who have family or other commitments. They admit about 30 students per semester or 60 students a year.

According to the post, AMC is a body that assesses medical school graduates to practice in Australia. I am not certain what or how you spoke to a representative from AMC, but there is a difference between Samoa sns American Samoa.

OUM is based in Apia, Capital of Samoa.it is also listed in
http://www.amc.org.au/assessment/list-of-medical-schools
Make sure you choose Samoa . American Samoa is Eastern Samoa, not Samoa. Also history might be helpful,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa.

I don't want to say more as you may be able to read for yourself and I an certain that this reading skill will help you be aware of not just listen to what people say, but research and have evidence of what you will claim.

Hi I have just been accepted to OUM. I am from nz. I have done some extensive research on this school and can confirm that it is legitimate and does have practicing doctors whom have graduated from OUM now licensed and working in nz and aus

Hi I have just been accepted to OUM. I am from nz. I have done some extensive research on this school and can confirm that it is legitimate and does have practicing doctors whom have graduated from OUM now licensed and working in nz and aus