Ochem 1 vs. Ochem 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more important for the MCAT OCHEM 1 OR 2? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

moto_za said:
Which is more important for the MCAT OCHEM 1 OR 2? THANKS

Both are important. Simple reactions, stereochemistry, and spectroscopy (esp. IR and NMR) from O Chem I, mechanisms in O Chem II. More or less. Don't underestimate mechanisms - you need to understand them, not just memorize them.

I loved I and thought II was one of the worst, most boring clases I ever took.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither is On the MCAT

It just says it is, but its not.

PittMedicine said:
Neither is On the MCAT

It just says it is, but its not.

LOL.
It totally depends on the form. The one I took was pretty heavy on the Ochem II and second semester physics, and lighter on the bio and gen chem. But I've heard of folks who got the opposite.

Law2Doc said:
LOL.
It totally depends on the form. The one I took was pretty heavy on the Ochem II and second semester physics, and lighter on the bio and gen chem. But I've heard of folks who got the opposite.

That is the wonderful thing about the MCAT you have no idea what is really going to be on it as they get to choose from a volume a of material much more vast than the content of one test so to be safe just have a good Handle on absolutely everything. :laugh: if you have had a solid Ochem experience though you may not need to fret about it too much. Get old tests, lots of them, and see where you feel week, spend your time there.

It does all depend on the form. I could have not studied ochem at all...there was like 1 passage on my form. which sucked for me b/c i LOVE ochem. i think overall, ochem I is a little more represented. but i agree with the previous poster, there was a lot of nuc. acyl substitution in the practice tests i took.

Honestly I didn't bother studying O-chem for the MCAT I took my chances and my form had maybe 4 orgo questions and they were all nucleophilic substitution or chirality oriented it seemed...and one that had to do with the "chair forms"...problem is i can no longer remember what semester that stuff came up in...I personally think O-chem is a worthless subject and that 2 semesters of Biochem should be taught instead with some o-chem interlaced into it...that said I think Biochemistry is far more important than organic from the MCAT perspective it forces you to learn some of the underlying concepts of o-chem but in an applied fashion

snobored18 said:
I personally think O-chem is a worthless subject...

Ouch! (me = Ph.D. in OChem)

Personally, I could eat OChem with a spoon. :laugh: