Ochem Acid strength

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dane4695

studyin` machine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would something liek acetic acid be a stronger acid than phenol? Shouldn't phenol have more resonance structures?

Anyone have a good website for acid strength practice problems?

Members don't see this ad.

dane4695 said:
Why would something liek acetic acid be a stronger acid than phenol? Shouldn't phenol have more resonance structures?

Anyone have a good website for acid strength practice problems?

The negative charge flows b/w two oxygen atoms making the deprotanation of the carboxylic acid high favorable energetically. For more information, take a bioenergetics course in school :thumbup:

I understand that there is resonance of the negative charge... but shouldn't that also be the case in phenol? 4 res structures vs 2? Or maybe i'm missing something.

dane4695 said:
I understand that there is resonance of the negative charge... but shouldn't that also be the case in phenol? 4 res structures vs 2? Or maybe i'm missing something.
it's right there in my statement. it resonates b/w two OXYGEN atoms. oxygen is more electronegative than carbon is, and hence the reaction of deprotanation is energetically more favorable

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh. I see. Thanks. Didn't realize inductive effect was so powerful.