Ochem? EK or TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so bad at ochem. I'm like a month out from my test, and I want to try and increase my accuracy. I'm just wondering if I should do EK or keep doing TBR? My content review is kind of poor though.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! :] BTW i've been doing TBR Biol because I was doing pretty well in the EK 1001 for bio. However, I feel that TBR biol is so difficult. I'm not sure if it's helping or not because i'm only getting like 1/5 correct. It'll have some weird explanation which makes sense, but it's like I don't know why I would have thought of this mathematical approach to this.

I read in the 30+ forum that a lot of people used EK 1001 for biol, but I'm trying to get into 11/12 so should I keep doing TBR or go back to EK?

TBR is bad for BS. It's too detail-oriented.
Use TPRH for biology + orgo if you have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR all the way it is great for ochem. The passages are awesome and give great explanations and really go deep into testing your actual understanding. I would say the ochem in TBR is slightly harder than the aamc or real mcat ochem... but it is a great tool and i think once you have a handle on some basic concepts you should be fine with TBR. If you really want to increase your score practice makes perfect.

Thank you for your replies! I do believe that TBR ochem is great for practice but should I start with EK since it's better for content review? I read the EK chapters for ochem but my score didn't really go up. I get confused when they ask questions about what would react better with something, or what product would I get.

Say away from TBR bio and try TPR bio

I got A's in orgo 1 and 2 and only used Orgo EK. As someone who has taken all AAMC's and an actual MCAT, EK Orgo is more than adequate in terms of preparation for MCAT Orgo.

TBR Bio is WAY too in-depth and factoid based. It does not rely on MCAT reasoning i.e. New information presentation, utilizing basic concepts learned, synthesizing new answer.

I also got A's in all my orgo classes but it was so long ago that I forgot most of it. Thanks for your reply! I'll use EK then. :]

I dont understand the hype about TBR for BS on this website. It's really bad. TBR for PS is really great, however.

I completely agree with that. I use TBR for physics and g chem and I do believe they're pretty good for those topics. I love it!