OChem I AND II over Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

sle3pyguii

There is no mistake in the title.

My advisor told me to take O Chem I AND II over the upcoming summer. I'd have to take O Chem I over the pre-session of summer school (May 18-1st week of June), then take II at my community college back home.

That way I can graduate in 2.5 years with my degree.

Considering how I can barely manage a C right now in Chem II, I'm pretty sure I'd fail the OChems.

Anyone have any comments on what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's any need to rush everything. Trust me, it's better to get good grades and make time to fit in all those extracurriculars you need to make up for that C! If you don't think you can manage your time, I don't think you should take them over the summer, or at least not BOTH of them. I took OchemI over the summer and it was a 15 week course crammed in 6 weeks. My professor was notorious for being absolutely EVIL. I ended up with a B, so I think it's do-able, but you really need to be on top of things.

I found when I took accelerated courses over the summer that the material was easier because I was only focusing on one class with nothing else to study. Personally I liked Ochem a lot more than General Chemistry but a lot of people felt the opposite way. Depends on you. If you do plan to take both you might want to set up a tutor during the summer or contact the professors and see how often they will be having office hours during the week. The material comes at you fast but it is the only material coming at you, so there is good and bad.

I am not going to lie to you, I liked OChem but for me it required a lot of studying to do well in. Lots of memorization and mechanisms to learn. I know many people that found it to be almost impossible without the help of friends and tutors. If you honestly don't think an accelerated format is going to help you but instead going to kill hurt your GPA then i would discuss that with your advisor. Its your choice in the end, you know your abilities better than the advisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no mistake in the title.

My advisor told me to take O Chem I AND II over the upcoming summer. I'd have to take O Chem I over the pre-session of summer school (May 18-1st week of June), then take II at my community college back home.

That way I can graduate in 2.5 years with my degree.

Considering how I can barely manage a C right now in Chem II, I'm pretty sure I'd fail the OChems.

Anyone have any comments on what I should do?

In my freshman year of college I was a really "motivated" student. So, I decided to take organic chem I and II over the summer.....not that great of an idea! At UF, organic one and two is split up into six week blocks.

You basically have to teach yourself organic. I remember reading 100 pages in my organic book a week in order to keep up with the class. I've taken classes every summer in my undergraduate career, and that summer with orgo I and II was definitely the hardest (mind you, I took anaylitical chem and physics I and II two summers ago). I ended up with a B+ in organic I, B in organic lab, and C+ in orgo II.

If u plan to take orgo I and II during the summer, be prepared to have absolutly no life what-so-ever.

Okay OChem over the summer is horrible there is too much information for you to engulf in that short time frame. I took ochem I and II last summer and it was horrible I went to office hours everyday and still got a C/C-. I spent most of the time trying to do the assignments that were due for the next class period and before you know it the exams are due. I basically went to tutoring to know how to do the homework and never got the time to focus on one chapter and when the test came I had to go over everything from the earlier chapters. PLUS each week covered too many chapters... GOOD LUCK