Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OChem videos other than Chads?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by OoPredentoO, Aug 11, 2015.

1. OoPredentoO

2+ Year Member

Are you expected to have been previously exposed to the material before watching chads videos?

I used Chads GChem videos with no problems earlier this summer. This was after completing GChem at my college. He seemed to go into great depth with easy to follow examples.

Now I'm using Chads OChem videos. I have no idea what he's talking about. I plan on taking OChem this fall, so I have no previous experience. But still, I felt like his GChem videos went over BASICS before getting into it. OChem he's just going!

I managed to use other resources to understand the first few chapters & very few mechanisms. How am I intended to understand anything when his mechanism videos are 4 minutes long?? They're so brief!

I have a tough semester in the fall so I need to study ahead while I can. Any good videos for learning mechanisms, or Organic Chemistry I in general?

Ps- Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, idk :rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bluesky12

2+ Year Member

youtube / khan academy my friend

OoPredentoO likes this.
  4. strep mutans

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes

His videos are intended as a review.

I recommend the book "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" if you want to start learning the material before your course starts.

OoPredentoO likes this.
  5. Dental 4ever

2+ Year Member

Leah4Sci! Amazing videos!

OoPredentoO likes this.
  6. OoPredentoO

2+ Year Member

Good post, I watched some of khans stuff yesterday and it cleared a lot up.

Thanks, I thought he was going over a "review" rather than teaching beginners. I'll have to purchase that book just to have during the semester, I think it's a tad late to order in time to study ahead.

Awesome, I'll take a look! Thanks

Q: As far as mechanisms go, are you expected to just memorize most of the outcomes?

7. dannybobanny182

7+ Year Member

8. ab_kaka8

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Khan Academy is really good but sometimes he goes into too much detail and deviates from what the title of the video claims to be. 'Readysetorgo' also has good videos. Some topics are good for khan academy while others are good for readysetorgo. I would watch both because its good to get exposed to the material in more than one way. I would read the textbook first, if you get confused watch some videos. Then go to lecture. This way you will be more engaged and willing to asks questions. Lastly, tutoring at many universities are free so take advantage if you don't understand the lesson. Good luck!

OoPredentoO likes this.
  9. ab_kaka8

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Organic Chem as a 2nd language is a really good book, agreed. I just didn't like that they would teach a little differently then the actual textbook required. I liked taking my time and trying to understand every detail of every topic. But it's definitely good to look out.