ochem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiten

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys!!
Ochem should be an easy class....u dont have to memorize anything!! Just understand it, read it a few times...and apply!

Members don't see this ad.

Not memorizing stuff but learning the theory behind it makes any class easier, but definitely not easy. At Duke, freshman organic chemistry is one of the hardest classes. The students are very bright, but its still highly conceptual and hard even though they have a good grasp of the theoretical apsect of the material.

So yes, learning the theory makes it easier than memorizing, but not easy.

Organic (period) at Duke is hard, but manageable.;) Understanding theories work better than rote memorization.

Members don't see this ad :)
In med school MOST of what you do will be memorize! "Understanding concepts and applying," unless you're in a Problem Based Learning program won't work well because you'll need to have all the details down as well. It will be all multiple choice and no chance really to demonstrate conceptual understanding.

In my first year Histo class exam, for example, a question hung on whether you could remeber if it was a 64 or 67 nm turn in an alpha helix spannig the membrane.

The reason Organic is used as a measuring stick for med school is because it relies on the same skills you'll need in med school - the ability to memorize lots of detail and moderately complex processes at a rapid rate.

Originally posted by swing
In med school MOST of what you do will be memorize! "Understanding concepts and applying," unless you're in a Problem Based Learning program won't work well because you'll need to have all the details down as well. It will be all multiple choice and no chance really to demonstrate conceptual understanding.

In my first year Histo class exam, for example, a question hung on whether you could remeber if it was a 64 or 67 nm turn in an alpha helix spannig the membrane.

The reason Organic is used as a measuring stick for med school is because it relies on the same skills you'll need in med school - the ability to memorize lots of detail and moderately complex processes at a rapid rate.

crap, I knew that.... 67nm?

Originally posted by swing
"Understanding concepts and applying," unless you're in a Problem Based Learning program won't work well

this is why i'm praying for that cornell acceptance :)