OCPM "Official Visit" What does that mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello podiatry people,

So I got a vague letter today from OCPM inviting me to an on campus visit. The first paragraph of the letter says "The Office of Student Affairs and Admission is pleased to extend a personal invitation to you for an Official Campus Admission Visit." It goes on to give me a list of dates to choose from.

What does this mean? Is it an interview? I've applied, but I'm not taking my MCAT until next week, so I'm assuming it's not an interview, but like an open house? I'd be thrilled if it was but I'm not going to get my hopes up until after my test...

Can anyone help? I'll probably give them a call, but I don't want to sound like a pompous fool acting like I'm going to be interviewed and it's just an open house !

Members don't see this ad.

It is most likely a type of open house. DMU does a similar program called "Discover DMU" about 2-3 times a year. It is NOT an interview. There are no faculty involved, just some students giving tours and a little opening speech by some university people. There is good turn out for them, and for those inclined, it is a way for parents to also see the school (as opposed to AT the official interview).

But as my boy anklebreaker said, if you have questions, just call the school. They are there to answer questions.

ok, calling right now. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools can interview before they get your MCAT but cannot make an official decision (acceptance/rejection) until they have your MCAT.

Aggy,

Ignore the absolutely uninformed and/or rude posters above... (you know who you are...)

A congratulations is definitely in order because an "official visit" invite IS an official interview invite! For whatever reason, they don't call it an "interview"... perhaps to alleviate some of the anxiety many students feel when they hear/see the word. Some of the podiatric medical schools will extend interview invites without receipt of your official MCAT score. I believe Midwestern and Barry are the only exceptions (though I'm not 100% sure about NYCPM, Temple, and the California schools).

The OCPM "visit" is not without some formality. You will be meeting with faculty and staff- Dean Lois Lott included. Dean Lott is FANTASTIC, to say the least. No reason to stress... just be excited and go with your "A-GAME"! I "visited"/"interviewed" at OCPM earlier this year, and was thoroughly impressed. Great facilities, faculty, curriculum and surrounding area!

Congrats again!

Last edited:
Everyone that was offered an interview to this school received the same letter. It is obviously an interview.

Well there you go. I was wrong. I have been called worse than misinformed, but not yet today.
Just call it an interview, don't pussyfoot around the subject because somebody might get a little nervous. And wait for an MCAT before doing so, so that any issues can be addressed at the actual interview-assuming it is open format.

congratulations, as soon as you tell them you are coming to the interview they will print up your acceptance letter and give it to you during your interview!!

Dean Lott is really nice (what is your favorite movie/book?), but she is one of the reasons why I did not go to OCPM. she's not a podiatrist. she has no formal medical training. why is she in charge of the school? she is the reason why OCPM is run like a business rather than like a school who is trying to make the profession of podiatry better. she actually told me that OCPM was the only school that was following vision 2015 to the letter!

JMHO ;)

^thanks for your input. that's interesting to know. also thanks everyone who replied and helped, especially MBA2DPM. all cleared up now!

congratulations, as soon as you tell them you are coming to the interview they will print up your acceptance letter and give it to you during your interview!!

Dean Lott is really nice (what is your favorite movie/book?), but she is one of the reasons why I did not go to OCPM. she's not a podiatrist. she has no formal medical training. why is she in charge of the school? she is the reason why OCPM is run like a business rather than like a school who is trying to make the profession of podiatry better. she actually told me that OCPM was the only school that was following vision 2015 to the letter!

JMHO ;)

awesome

I also felt a little odd about dean Lott. She was the nicest interviewer I had throughout the process, but it didn't feel like a academic/professional interview.
I am not sure why it just should have been a little more difficult. The questions were extremely general (what motivates you? etc.) and never touched on my academic resume.

I dont know, I just came away feeling a little funny, the rest of the visit was awesome. Top notch facilities and the student ambassadors were some of the best of the schools I visited.

you learn something new every day. i never knew the Dean at OCPM was not a podiatrist. Huh.

Members don't see this ad :)
i received one of these too. Just called and set the date for my visit. Its the only school ive got an interview with so far. what date are you planning on going aggy?

Looks like I'll be there April 8th. What about you?

Lois Lott is NOT the head Dean. She is the Dean of Admissions. She is also not "in charge of the school". She deals with student affairs and admissions. Good luck to those going for a visit/interview!

Lois Lott is NOT the head Dean. She is the Dean of Admissions. She is also not "in charge of the school". She deals with student affairs and admissions. Good luck to those going for a visit/interview!

That makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up. As we all know here on SDN, false rumors spread fast

If you have an interview, you're in! Welcome/Congratulations!

The interview is awesome!:thumbup:

Dean Lott is totally awesome. The questions asked are things like
-Why Podiatry
-How do you relieve stress
-Why OCPM
Nothing to do with academics. They have already seen your academics, they don't want to beat a dead horse. They want to know about YOU!

Student ambassadors will show you around, then you will interview with Dean Lott and usually with one other. And then you have lunch, then Dean Lott will interview you one more time and this time she usually gives you your acceptance letter.

So good luck and don't stress!!!!!:D You'll be fine!

:p

Last edited:
i will be there April 20th. lemme know how it goes for you on the 8th! good luck! also just got an invite for Barry so gotta plan that out.

I got one of these too. They sent me a letter with options where to stay. I'm guessing it is an official interview.

I got one of these too. They sent me a letter with options where to stay. I'm guessing it is an official interview.

congrats! One of the main selling points of OCPM for me were the friendly staff, newer facilities, and the Cleveland area itself. I would recommend you check out apts while your there. If you are considering Ohio seriously then check out the regency (where supposedly 1/2 of the students live) and other apts nearby. It'll save you a trip.

congrats! One of the main selling points of OCPM for me were the friendly staff, newer facilities, and the Cleveland area itself. I would recommend you check out apts while your there. If you are considering Ohio seriously then check out the regency (where supposedly 1/2 of the students live) and other apts nearby. It'll save you a trip.

Thx! Do you know how long the interview lasts? Is it 9-4?

Thx! Do you know how long the interview lasts? Is it 9-4?

Depends on the number of students going to interview that day. I was done by 2. Call the school and ask them.